Guns

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Tue Mar 27, 2007 17:54

the bass on the Jitterbug coda is just fantastic.
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Scourage
Silver Cardiac

Postby Scourage » Wed Mar 28, 2007 01:58

Dapper Swindler wrote:That song is a close relative to Dog Like Sparky to my ears.

'Clean That Evil Mud Out Of Your Soul' is this album's D-LS. Keep an ear out for the drums and all will reveal itself...

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 02:49

Best record.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Wed Mar 28, 2007 15:20

It is damn good. It's like someone said, after the maxed-out bandwidth of Sing To God, Guns feels like a rationalisation towards four-piece playability. I mean I can't see any band, ever, following such a magnum opus as well as Guns manages to do.

My Cardiacs mentor has taken ages to accept Guns properly. At first he thought it was quite unspecial and he'd "heard all the bits before" or something. Whereas I came in via Sing To God and at first Guns seemed easily the second best album of them all.

I suppose he meant that Will Bleed Amen is a bit of a Fiery Gun Hand, Song OF A Dead Pest is a bit of a Safety Bowl, Come Back Clammy Lammy is a bit of a Day Is Gone, Clean That Evil Mud is a bit of a Dog Like Sparky, etc.

But it's a very varied album. There's never been a Sleep All Eyes Open before (Gary Glitter) nor really a Wind And Rains Is Cold, nor really a There's Good Cud, has there? Signs sort of reminds me of Fast Robert but God knows why.

To a certain extent the dyed-in-the-eighties-wool Cardiacs fan maybe has to beware of being a bit churlish about the glorious line-up changing and the clique widening, no? Can't have the Breakfast Line coda threatened by the Jitterbug one.

And about the pretend Stetson element - there would seem to be scope for a certain degree of continuation on the next album, through Kavus' expensive guitar and rockabilly hairdo. I'll be surprised not to hear a dash of that.

In the time it's taken to spew that lot of nonsense I could have just shut up and put the bugger on. Doing that now then :).

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Wed Mar 28, 2007 15:31

Made Of Worms wrote:It is damn good. It's like someone said, after the maxed-out bandwidth of Sing To God, Guns feels like a rationalisation towards four-piece playability

Yup, yup, that was me. I'm a genius.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 15:43

Nice one Worms.
There's plenty of Stetson elements on Pony of course. Makes me think of a fake Americana -- this image helped by the actual Americans on it, and i imagine Bill Dylan to be wearing plaid, and with a cheroot on.

In short give me this current/later Cardiacs to the thespy ones nice as they are.

Note to just above: "Best record." was most really drunketc. post.

Will Bleed Amen
New fish

Postby Will Bleed Amen » Tue Apr 03, 2007 22:20

No prizes for guessing what my favourite track from Guns is. I love the way it goes all dreamy for the choruses before screaming ahead full steam again.
And There's Good Cud for going all rumpty dumpty, like a fury.

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Tue Apr 03, 2007 22:27

Will Bleed Amen wrote:No prizes for guessing what my favourite track from Guns is. I love the way it goes all dreamy for the choruses before screaming ahead full steam again.
And There's Good Cud for going all rumpty dumpty, like a fury.

i just LOVE Signs
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Tue Apr 03, 2007 22:31

I'm slowly deciding that Come Back Clammy Lammy is my favorite. It's so well crafted! Poptastic! That or Junior is a Jitterbug. The end bit is one of the best things I've ever heard ever by anyone.

Will Bleed Amen
New fish

Postby Will Bleed Amen » Tue Apr 03, 2007 22:37

Mrs. Amen reckons it's all "scary fairground music for Geeks"

This may be true, anyhow she said for better or worse. And I'm holding her to it.

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Tue Apr 03, 2007 23:05

That's exactly what it is!!! And all the better for it :D

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Tue Apr 03, 2007 23:22

frostbyte wrote:i just LOVE Signs

Me too frosty...first time I heard it I wet myself...(everso slightly)... :shock:

chippy
Cardiacs Expert

Postby chippy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 23:50

Pet Lamb wrote:

Me too frosty...first time I heard it I wet myself...(everso slightly)... :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I dont think I let out any wee, but was clapping like a demented sea lion and laughing uncontrolably

mrs chippy just looked, shook her head, then popped the kettle on :D
There's thousands of people just like me all over

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Wed Apr 04, 2007 00:04

chippy wrote:
Pet Lamb wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I dont think I let out any wee, but was clapping like a demented sea lion and laughing uncontrolably

Did I say it was wee...? :wink:

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Wed Apr 04, 2007 00:42

Urgh. Are ye just gonnae no dae that?