Guns

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Poor Soldier
Silver Cardiac

Postby Poor Soldier » Wed Nov 22, 2006 09:52

paddy wrote:it's called 'secret like swans' and goes like this:

Or "Featherless" or "Feb '93" apparently.

Darwin Goodman
Gold Cardiac

Postby Darwin Goodman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:47

The Mop™ wrote:I really like Guns, it took me quite a few listens to get into, but then I really loved it.

I guess I have finally reached this point... except that it took me several years. My latest bout of heavy Guns rotation swiped away all nagging doubts from my mind as to the greatness of this album.

Gubbinz wrote:it's the album where Tim's really mastered aranging his compositions for four people rather than the 6/7 present in the earlier ones

(This quote comes from another thread, but it's about Guns nonetheless, and I wholeheartedly agree.)

...and aren't some of those crunchy bass lines simply sublime?
'There was a time when she did rain me gone ted'

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:17

Still everytime I put on There's good cud I'm stunned by the complexity of this song, while it seems they race through it with the ease of the Stray Cats!

Ally Craig
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Ally Craig » Fri Dec 01, 2006 19:01

Last time I checked the merchandise page of Cardiacs site, Guns had sold out! :? Luckily I've already got a copy, but still, an alarming number of those albums are unavailable now.

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 19:06

AllyCraig wrote:Last time I checked the merchandise page of Cardiacs site, Guns had sold out! :? Luckily I've already got a copy, but still, an alarming number of those albums are unavailable now.

Crikey, it as well! That's pretty alarming - I wonder if it'll start appearing on eBay? God, they need to get re-releasing...

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Fri Dec 01, 2006 19:09

AllyCraig wrote:Last time I checked the merchandise page of Cardiacs site, Guns had sold out! :? Luckily I've already got a copy, but still, an alarming number of those albums are unavailable now.

I hope that after the new album comes out, they'll tour extensively, Cardiacs cash machine will be ringing nonstop - then they'll have time and money enough to press up more cds and dvds, strawberry waterfalls and chocolate sheep amen.

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Fri Dec 01, 2006 22:25

i got guns when it came out-i really loved it when it came out-i still do-all cardiacs stuff is good :D

Darwin Goodman
Gold Cardiac

Postby Darwin Goodman » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:38

Ady wrote:i got guns when it came out-i really loved it when it came out-i still do-all cardiacs stuff is good :D

I got it then as well, liked it very much indeed, but for some odd reason it took me all these years to fully appreaciate the true splendour of this magnificent album.

Nowadays I play it almost like it was the only CD I own. No doubt, soon comes the critical moment when my wife says, "We've got other CDs, you know" - something that happens every time I get stuck in one of my powerplay modes.
'There was a time when she did rain me gone ted'

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sun Jan 28, 2007 18:08

No matter how many times I hear this cd, the end bit (Secret Like Swans)
where Timmy shouts,
"HELLO?"
-always startles the living shit out of me. It just did it again! :lol:
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 19:14

schlep wrote:No matter how many times I hear this cd, the end bit (Secret Like Swans)
where Timmy shouts,
"HELLO?"
-always startles the living shit out of me. It just did it again! :lol:

Same here - every time!! :lol:

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:51

...not as annoying as the end of Snakes are Sleeping on HBAEB...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da DAH...

...Da Da Da

DAAHHHGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! :roll:

WORMTOWN!!
Silver Cardiac

Postby WORMTOWN!! » Tue Jan 30, 2007 20:05

Yeah, I hate that part of Snakes-a-sleeping too. I was playing the CD in my car and was totally on edge because I had very little sleep and had to drive 40 miles on very slick roads. That part scared the daylights out of me once...I had pretty much completely tuned out since I was paying attention to the road, and thought the CD had ended, but it was still, so I turned it up until I could hear what was going on and then BOOOM!! :shock:

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Thu Feb 01, 2007 13:34

hahaha :twisted: I've seen a lot of people sh*t themselves at that moment. I always get a sense of twisted glee while I wait for the inevitable.

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Fri Feb 02, 2007 00:27

Haha same, I was listening to it in the kitchen and my mum came in to make some toast and it faded out... And I waited... And waited... BOOM!!! She nearly fell over... Tee hee.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sun Feb 18, 2007 17:21

While I was in line at the Post Office yesterday, the line "This letter old letter is arrears" popped into my head, and soon the song began unreeling itself in memory, and there I was quietly bopping away and probably humming and scat singing under my breath like an escaped mental patient.
I got home and put on 'Cry Wet Smile Dry', and as I suspected, it's a brilliant quirky thing - such a weird rhythm to it! It doesn't pound ahead in forward motion so much as it see saws back and forth.
And I like the bit where all the instruments stop except one guitar doing a little Link Wray type riff.
Do you know what I mean to say

I meant to say to you today

A day goes by I try thats why

I try to speak to you today

Return to “Albums”