Guns

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

prowler
Diamond Cardiac

Re: Guns

Postby prowler » Fri Mar 25, 2011 00:46

i'm still not sold on the whole thing but Wind and Rains is Cold is definitely one of the best songs of all time. that wonderful youtube fan video opened my eyes...

William B Amen
New fish

Postby William B Amen » Fri Mar 25, 2011 03:10

At the first few listens, I wasn't entirely with it. I liked a few songs, but the album as a whole didn't really scream out to me. But over the past few months, and after viewing The Night of the Hunter, it all fell into place. Now I hear the album in an entirely different way, and it is absolutely stunning in its sheer subdued majesty.

Yes, "Sing to God" it ain't. "Sing to God" is, and possibly forever will be, my very favorite Cardiacs record. But I'll be damned if "Guns" hasn't launched itself into the number two slot with surprisingly stealthy intensity. What "Guns" lacks in the massive anthems and constellation-like orchestration of "Sing to God", it more than makes up for in its meditative, irresistible energy. Then we get hints and smatterings of the bare emotion Tim gave us on OceanLandWorld...and the rumblings of some undefined thing down there, under the flood. There's something beautifully sinister behind the apparent simplicity here.

I'm constantly called back to a passage from the mantra on the official site's "Guns" page:

"Guns…The haunted bullet that will NOT be removed…"
Who is beautiful and fit and thin?

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Fri Mar 25, 2011 18:05

Yep, I definitely hear some Oceanlandworld in Guns, ten years apart or no. Cry Wet Smile Dry, which no-one seems to mention but is an exuberant loveliness, would have been the best track on Oceanlandworld wouldn't it? It's got Tim at his deranged bass playing best on it, even if he is oddly bottomless.

Sterbus
mad completist

Re:

Postby Sterbus » Fri Mar 25, 2011 19:38

Made Of Worms wrote:
chaffinch wrote:What were they thinking?

Answers here:
http://www.cardiacs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=772
Including Timmmy's version of events on page 3. :)

Also includes some moaning about Guns lacking Fiery dynamics, which is kinda true innit.

Also includes me saying the exact same thing about Abade as I repeated the other day. Consistent I suppose.This is why I'm posting less, I've evidently said every single thing I think about Cardiacs, if you can call it thinking.

Trust ne Chaffinch, when I heard the right version of HB&HB I completely changed my mind about that album...

Talking about Guns production, I love there's good cud, will bleed amen, come back clammy lammy... cry wet smile dry is a great song but I find the sound of it terrible... like a cassette when you have used it thousand times... too much hiss almost...
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Fri Mar 25, 2011 21:28

I thought it was just EQ, there's no arse to the thing at all. Tim probably accidentally left it out by the bins all night or something.

chaffinch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby chaffinch » Thu Apr 14, 2011 01:01

I was reading some forum the other day discussing Cardiacs and someone on there declared that Guns was 'dreadful'. Even though said post was from 2005 I almost registered to express my outrage.

I think I need to get out more.

Themanhoo
New fish

Postby Themanhoo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 18:52

Guns isn't Sing to God but in my books it's a very close second in my fave Cardiacs albums. Jim's crunchy, twangy bass is as good as, if not better than anything I've heard (and i've been a muso addict for aeons). So melodic and understated. I agree that a lot of this album is very similar to Tim's Oceanlandworld.......but that's a good thing....isn't it? ::roll: Toppermost tracks are Jitterbug, Cry wet smile, Clean that evil mud and There's good cud. :D

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 22:23

Thought I'd dig up my old Guns thread from a few years given the other one has gone to shit. Let's favour this thread to carry on talking about Guns/Cardiacs and the other thread to embarrass ourselves.

Thanks.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 22:26

Batesy wrote:Thought I'd dig up my old Guns thread from a few years given the other one has gone to shit. Let's favour this thread to carry on talking about Guns/Cardiacs and the other thread to embarrass ourselves.

Thanks.

Good point Batesy .totally agree 8)

snowman
Cardiacs Expert

Postby snowman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 22:47

Uh huh. Although I've posted this 'elsewhere' (ahem), I'll say it again: this is the best album Cardiacs ever released. I think LSD might have fought it for the crown though (NEVER SAY NEVER!) (and STG put up a brave fight too) (as did OLAITS), but, well, y'know, just my opinion (but I'm very trustworthy re: my musical opinions - honest, guvnor).

Oh! Pony is also a contender! People: now that Pony is available again, BUY the Phuquer - it's a CLASSIC ALBUM.

Night night, pond-dwellers x

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 22:56

I understand Guns is technically very good but it just feels lacking in something. It is kind of like the person you really enjoy spending time with but doesn't have that spark. I think i just friend zoned guns !

montoid
Cardiacs Expert

Postby montoid » Tue Apr 15, 2014 00:15

Oh! Pony is also a contender! People: now that Pony is available again, BUY the Phuquer - it's a CLASSIC ALBUM

Yes, I came to that conclusion after buying it and finally getting to hear it through the "big" speakers. Every track a gloriously mental shard of brilliance. Buy the kvnt indeed. :)

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:37

snowman wrote:this is the best album Cardiacs ever released.

Absolute bollox if I have ever heard any. The best album Cardiacs ever released was On Land and in the Sea, because it has everything on it. If you say I'm wrong, I'll tell you dad on you about that incident at the bus shelter a few years ago involving a handful of gravel, some elastic bands and Norris the chihuahua! :twisted:
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

snowman
Cardiacs Expert

Postby snowman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 13:01

:butthead:

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 13:21

drterror666 wrote:
snowman wrote:this is the best album Cardiacs ever released.

Absolute bollox if I have ever heard any. The best album Cardiacs ever released was On Land and in the Sea, because it has everything on it. If you say I'm wrong, I'll tell you dad on you about that incident at the bus shelter a few years ago involving a handful of gravel, some elastic bands and Norris the chihuahua! :twisted:

Totally agree with you on that dr :)

Then again I feel you enjoy it for what it is and not micro analysis every chord change and rate how it is technically. I do feel guns may well be a fantastic bit of music from a musicians point of view but just seems to miss that warm feeling that OLAITS has .

Return to “Albums”