Guns

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

User avatar
The Mop™
Silver Cardiac
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 19:05
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
Contact:

Postby The Mop™ » Sun Sep 17, 2006 23:18

Ah yeah for sure. I really like Guns, it took me quite a few listens to get into, but then I really loved it. There's such a variety, loads of songs that don't always fit the usual Cardiacs sound. And yeah...Jitterbug is a pretty awe-inspiring piece, God knows how he wrote that end part :P
My ridiculous world - http://www.themopcollective.co.uk

User avatar
frostbyte
"oh engineer....."
Posts: 2847
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 16:20
Location: Schagen, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby frostbyte » Sun Sep 17, 2006 23:35

i love GUNS!!!!!
especially wind and rains is cold, and signs
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

User avatar
Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert
Posts: 3334
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 14:40
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Postby Pet Lamb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 00:06

'Signs' is just one of the best songs ever... :D

User avatar
whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:53
Location: Harderwijk, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby whippersnapper » Mon Sep 18, 2006 09:45

I find the powerrockabilly "There's good Cud" and "Will bleed amen" the best, because THEY ROCK MY BRAIN...

*by the way I think "The Bill" by Little Trophy is heavily inspired by "Will bleed amen"*

User avatar
clippa
Cardiacs Expert
Posts: 4603
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 16:24

Postby clippa » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:24

Little trophy strike me as horrible posers, and that pretty boy can't sing live :) I've had to block your cheese avatar because it's making me feel sick.

User avatar
whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:53
Location: Harderwijk, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby whippersnapper » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:56

garland wrote:I've had to block your cheese avatar because it's making me feel sick.

Did my avatar do that to your stomach?! Whoa, nice impact :lol:
Well, I changed it just for you okay?

User avatar
clippa
Cardiacs Expert
Posts: 4603
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 16:24

Postby clippa » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:02

Yeah, that's better. I hope everyone else is paying attention. Explain to them how going out of your way to please only me has made your life that much more fulfilling TELL THEM!

User avatar
whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:53
Location: Harderwijk, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby whippersnapper » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:41

Eeeh...Peoples out there...here...anywhere, I have to make the following announcement that almost drives me to tears with joy! I just wanted to TELL YOU that I've just had the privilege to please mr Garland here... and I must say it has made my life is so much better! In fact there's nothing more to achieve in life it seems. I feel so strangely fullfilled...

Thank you God Garland for giving me this unique opportunity to finally prove myself worthy in life!

User avatar
Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert
Posts: 3334
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 14:40
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Postby Pet Lamb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:20

whippersnapper wrote:Eeeh...Peoples out there...here...anywhere, I have to make the following announcement that almost drives me to tears with joy! I just wanted to TELL YOU that I've just had the privilege to please mr Garland here... and I must say it has made my life is so much better! In fact there's nothing more to achieve in life it seems. I feel so strangely fullfilled...

Thank you God Garland for giving me this unique opportunity to finally prove myself worthy in life!


I'm glad Garland doesn't have that effect on me... :wink:

User avatar
whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:53
Location: Harderwijk, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby whippersnapper » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:54

Pet Lamb wrote:
whippersnapper wrote:Eeeh...Peoples out there...here...anywhere, I have to make the following announcement that almost drives me to tears with joy! I just wanted to TELL YOU that I've just had the privilege to please mr Garland here... and I must say it has made my life is so much better! In fact there's nothing more to achieve in life it seems. I feel so strangely fullfilled...

Thank you God Garland for giving me this unique opportunity to finally prove myself worthy in life!


I'm glad Garland doesn't have that effect on me... :wink:


I'm so sorry to say Pet, but he does, you didn't notice it yet, but HE DOES!!

User avatar
schlep
Cardiacsy
Posts: 4650
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 14:07
Location: a shed in Richmond

Postby schlep » Tue Sep 19, 2006 14:44

Last night I was absent mindedly attempting to play the fiddle along with some tunes off 'Guns' - and realized just how complex and diabolical these tunes really are. I'm not very well versed in music theory, but I think I detect many minor keys, whole tone scales, and everything shifting keys regularly. Yet it all sounds so melodious on the ear!
A good example is 'Dead Pest' - sounds so simple and hummable, but unless you're classically trained, you'll have to rewire your brain in order to play it!

User avatar
whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:53
Location: Harderwijk, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby whippersnapper » Tue Sep 19, 2006 14:48

schlep wrote:Last night I was absent mindedly attempting to play the fiddle along with some tunes off 'Guns' - and realized just how complex and diabolical these tunes really are. I'm not very well versed in music theory, but I think I detect many minor keys, whole tone scales, and everything shifting keys regularly. Yet it all sounds so melodious on the ear!
A good example is 'Dead Pest' - sounds so simple and hummable, but unless you're classically trained, you'll have to rewire your brain in order to play it!


that's EXACTLY why I love them. It sometimes seems so simple. But even the "simple" songs are far beyond my guitar-skills, and I'm not THAT bad at guitar playing ;)

User avatar
The Happy Apple
Gold Cardiac
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 02:53
Location: Middly Bit
Contact:

Postby The Happy Apple » Tue Sep 19, 2006 16:34

whippersnapper wrote:
schlep wrote:Last night I was absent mindedly attempting to play the fiddle along with some tunes off 'Guns' - and realized just how complex and diabolical these tunes really are. I'm not very well versed in music theory, but I think I detect many minor keys, whole tone scales, and everything shifting keys regularly. Yet it all sounds so melodious on the ear!
A good example is 'Dead Pest' - sounds so simple and hummable, but unless you're classically trained, you'll have to rewire your brain in order to play it!


that's EXACTLY why I love them. It sometimes seems so simple. But even the "simple" songs are far beyond my guitar-skills, and I'm not THAT bad at guitar playing ;)


:D there's nothing i can do to make my performance of there's good cud sound good...just turns into some hand flapping.

User avatar
whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 14:53
Location: Harderwijk, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby whippersnapper » Tue Sep 19, 2006 16:36

MAN, when I try There's Good Cud (one of my favorite GUNS-tracks) it sounds like.....Johnny Cash....with the Down Syndrome...On Speed!

User avatar
The Happy Apple
Gold Cardiac
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 02:53
Location: Middly Bit
Contact:

Postby The Happy Apple » Tue Sep 19, 2006 17:27

You get it pretty accurate then?

ho ho ho