Guns

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Guns

Postby Batesy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 17:37

Does anyone know if the last, 'hidden', track has a title? Or is it just part of Will Bleed Amen...?

paddy_b
Gold Cardiac

Postby paddy_b » Wed Aug 02, 2006 18:02

it's called 'secret like swans' and goes like this:

Think of them families souls
You're sending them to their deaths
Oh I can't see that well

It's just gloss
Dressing up like a princess in secret
Like swans
In secret, secret like swans
Swans

Can't suck marvellous marvels
Really have plan
In wide world
In wide world, in all the wide world

:)

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 18:16

Brilliant - cheers Paddy. Just been listening to Guns at work this afternoon - had to play 'Will Bleed...' about 3 times in a row (I was almost leaping out of my chair). I tend to forget about this track but I really like it...

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Wed Aug 02, 2006 18:41

Batesy wrote:Brilliant - cheers Paddy. Just been listening to Guns at work this afternoon - had to play 'Will Bleed...' about 3 times in a row (I was almost leaping out of my chair). I tend to forget about this track but I really like it...

I like it live as well as on CD... :D

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Wed Aug 02, 2006 19:46

/me looks at the Guns cd..

Doubleclick
Silver Cardiac

Postby Doubleclick » Mon Aug 07, 2006 03:46

I thought it was "It's just class, dressing up like a princess in secret"? I hope you're wrong and I'm right, because my ears gave me a much better lyric :)

Also sounds like "Can such marvellous marvels..." to me, as a question

paddy_b
Gold Cardiac

Postby paddy_b » Mon Aug 07, 2006 04:00

you're probably right. i copied that from Cardiacs lyrics organ without listening to the cd. "it's just class" would be just that, as it were, heh.
what's the point in giving us ham?

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Mon Aug 07, 2006 13:00

there is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro on a saturday night instead of going to the pub
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

paddy, your signature makes me giggle every time I see it...I haven't done that in years...!! :wink:

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 13:32

Pet Lamb wrote:there is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro on a saturday night instead of going to the pub
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

paddy, your signature makes me giggle every time I see it...I haven't done that in years...!! :wink:

It's a Half Man Half Biscuit lyric isn't it?

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Mon Aug 07, 2006 17:10

Batesy wrote:
Pet Lamb wrote:there is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro on a saturday night instead of going to the pub

It's a Half Man Half Biscuit lyric isn't it?

Yup...'The Best Things in Life'... :D

paddy_b
Gold Cardiac

Postby paddy_b » Mon Aug 07, 2006 21:48

a motto to live by :D
what's the point in giving us ham?

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:12

paddy wrote:a motto to live by :D

My motto is 'what goes around comes around'...and believe me it is very true, so I never ever treat people the way I wouldn't want to be treated myself... :D

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sat Sep 16, 2006 22:33

As I've said elsewhere on this flowery forum, I'm a man of very limited experience of Cardiacs, and Guns is one of the two albums I've heard yet (and I am working on getting hold of Sings To God and Sea Nymphs things asap).
Another guy who knows (Jesse are you lurking here?) has advised me that Guns is 'easily their least spectacular album' - relatively speaking.
But I'm not sure what he's talking about - this is the best thing I've heard in ages. 'Winds and Rains is Cold' was the first tune to start getting stuck in my head, is that Sarah Smith who sings the chorus part?
I also fiercely love 'Jitterbug' - especially the second half of the tune where it turns into some sort of abstract medieval sounding chant.
There are many songs and bits of songs that are so -so- complex and yet the band are rocking out with such joyous abandon, I just don't know how they're doing it at all. (There's good Cud, Clammy Lammy, Will bleed amen, etc)
Tim's a great singer too. The whole album is just amazing. If there's better ones I guess I'll end up having trouble deciding which one to put on next, but Guns has pride of place in my little house. End of rant! :D

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sat Sep 16, 2006 22:41

schlep wrote:Jesse are you lurking here?

I believe Jesse is one of our 'lurkers'... :wink:

If you think 'Guns' is superb, then you have a whole lifetime of treats ahead of you with the other albums... :D

The Happy Apple
Gold Cardiac

Postby The Happy Apple » Sun Sep 17, 2006 22:07

I don't think anyone gives Guns the credit it deserves :( i always forget about it, then put it on and loves it to bits. All the tunes are super solid really...just must have some secret hypnosis thingymajig that makes you forget everytime. Really...second half of Jitterbug deserves an award.