A bucket full of everything he needs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sat Apr 26, 2008 15:51

Driving along in the sun this morning, OLAITS very loud, and having a generally pretty nice time, i realised that i know none of what's being gone on about in these songs. It's no use me reading the lyrics to Buds and Spawn, it's not helping me with the 'meaning' at all; it's the way they're spat out, the way they turn up where they do that's brilliant.

There are too many examples to make, they're probably all wonderful, but the title of this thread is perfect—it doesn't need interpreting for me, it's just a great notion.

Safe as house against a wall of air and noise

:D

Putridity Man
New fish

Postby Putridity Man » Sat Apr 26, 2008 21:54

One of my favourite cardiacs lyrics is from near the end of Buds And Spawn

Shriek and dance to a different noise
Shriek thin fatty girls
Shriek thin fatty boys
Girl boy world puts heads in a whirl
Shriek thin fatty boys
Shriek thin fatty girls

and I have absolutely no idea what it means, but it works perfectly, and is so catchy and upbeat I love it.

This is my first post, by the way - hello!

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sun Apr 27, 2008 09:39

...and hello, i bet you're not putrid or rotten at all though.:)

And thank you for saying hello in this thread, the Lyrics place is the coldest and loneliest part of the Forum—even colder than The Pond in winter i reckon. :wink:

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:52

Putridity Man wrote:One of my favourite cardiacs lyrics is from near the end of Buds And Spawn

Shriek thin fatty girls
Shriek thin fatty boys
Shriek thin fatty boys
Shriek thin fatty girls

and I have absolutely no idea what it means, but it works perfectly, and is so catchy and upbeat I love it.

makes me wonder if it wasnt some kind of inspiration for a certain Blur number?

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Re: A bucket full of everything he needs

Postby Gubbins » Sun Apr 27, 2008 15:14

dogsetc. wrote:Safe as house against a wall of air and noise

That's definitely my favorite line.

I love all the bits at the end as well, "wings all hero apollo man" and "seemly shiny fireproof man" and my personal favorite, "beauty peacock butterfly man"

Buds and Spawn is still my favorite Cardiacs song, hearing it live twice last year was really special, I nearly tore a vocal cord or two yelling out the last lines.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sun Apr 27, 2008 16:15

I always used to think it was "Shrink thin fatty boys/girls" but of course that was silly of me because it makes sense for four consecutive words.

It's an album of wholly fresh material isn't it? Had any of it been heard before? Perhaps one of the old lags can tell us. Seems to me a pretty quick turnaround after ALMAAHATWWW for such a masterpiece. None of yer 8 year gap nonsense there. Both music and lyrics are quantum-different to what went before.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sat Aug 16, 2008 23:33

I've had Buds and Spawn in my head all day, a magnificent beast, maybe the most complex of all Cardiacs tunes?
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

chippy
Cardiacs Expert

Postby chippy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 19:13

schlep wrote:I've had Buds and Spawn in my head all day, a magnificent beast, maybe the most complex of all Cardiacs tunes?

I have to agree; buds and spawn makes my head spin, an amazing piece of work!

hi Putridity Man :)
There's thousands of people just like me all over

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Sun Aug 17, 2008 20:18

Putridity Man wrote:One of my favourite cardiacs lyrics is from near the end of Buds And Spawn

Shriek thin fatty girls
Shriek thin fatty boys
Shriek thin fatty boys
Shriek thin fatty girls

I so agree with you :)

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Postby funex » Mon Aug 18, 2008 16:18

Made Of Worms wrote:I always used to think it was "Shrink thin fatty boys/girls" but of course that was silly of me because it makes sense for four consecutive words.

It's an album of wholly fresh material isn't it? Had any of it been heard before? Perhaps one of the old lags can tell us. Seems to me a pretty quick turnaround after ALMAAHATWWW for such a masterpiece. None of yer 8 year gap nonsense there. Both music and lyrics are quantum-different to what went before.

I *think* they had played Buds And Spawn before, live and on a radio session somewhere.

heroapolloman
Gold Cardiac

Postby heroapolloman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 15:29

And 'Everso Closely Guarded Line'

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 02:26

Hey, ho and hearty assents to everything written here about this wonderful, wonderful song.

You know, Buds and Spawn isn't the most harmonically awesome tune they've ever done -- there's only one set of startling key changes and no particularly gnarly chord progressions -- but it is without one small shred of doubt one of the most structurally awesome rock songs written by anyone anywhere in the known universe. And rhythmically? ... it's just .... completely ... Good gods ... shot .. the ... flying ... frack ... out.

You've got not one, but TWO ginormous sing-along choruses, an outstanding opening sax/keyboard riff that defines "energetic" (even if it's only an ascending scale), the part following "a bucketful of everything he needs" in a time siggie so bent I can't count it out (it's an odd number over 16) and an epic poetic suggestion in the lyrics to rival Tull's Thick As A Brick.

What more could any good little boy or girl (thin or fatty) possibly ask for?

To me, the six lines ...

Shriek thin fatty girls
Shriek thin fatty boys
Shriek thin fatty boys
Shriek thin fatty girls

... epitomize like no other words in their canon Cardiacs experience. For what is Cardiacs music if not "a different noise," and what do Cardiacs fans do at their incredible concerts (which, as an American, I have not and perhaps now will never get to experience) but "shriek and dance?"
And if you have some kind of body-image issues, or self-esteem issues generally, well, who cares at which extreme they lie? Being all together as Cardiacs fans still puts heads in a whirl ...

Oh my goodness, enough of this. Anyway ... <ahem> ... I have a question for the Pond.

My first experience of Cardiacs was a tape mailed to me by an Englishwoman I've long since lost touch with, and that version of Buds and Spawn is different than the several others I've had over the years. In it, there are a set of lyrics over a section that in the other versions I know is instrumental. The section has the bent siggie described above and the second verse in the sung part is:

Screwing my courage to the sticking post
Never a good race, never a good race
All ... things ... I ... do

In the version I'm trying to locate in my my mind (and it is not, to the best of my imperfect recollection, a live version), the mystery lyrics occur in the second recurrance of that section, after the first verse reprise followed by the set of startling key changes I alluded to above, culminating in "a bucketful of everything he needs."

Now usually, that section is instrumental, but I swear I recall lyrics in this section, which went by too quickly for me to have made out anything but the two words "politics, art." Bear in mind this was when I just lost my Cardiacs virginity, well before I properly acquired On Land and in the Sea and burned the song into my brain. So exactly where these mystery lyrics reside in the song I might be mistaken about. They could be alternate lyrics in the first iteration of that section.

Not the most Conan Doylean of mysteries, but any help would be much obliged ...

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Return to “Lyrics”