Shearwater

Here you can post your Gig reviews, announce concerts and stuff, all that kind of stuff basically

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Lord of the Badgers
All Spectacular

Shearwater

Postby Lord of the Badgers » Mon Nov 26, 2012 19:56

Well I saw Shearwater in Bristol last night. and it was pretty much the finest of the not very many gigs I've seen all year. Awesome bunch. Way better than on record, and I'm quite the fan of those as it is.

So if you don't know, but you probably do...
Jonathan Meiburg's vocals are a sort of soaring tremulous tone, roughly comparable to Mark Hollis. Probably one of my favourite vocalists in music right now. Not sure how else to place them. Sometimes they have quite a proggy lilt to the arrangements, sometimes they nod to Talk Talk, most times not. The drummer was pretty phenomenal, with lots of creative use of rhythm, and lots of atmospheric crunchy metallic things going on. Also all v down to earth lads, which was nice.

Very intense... but not a foot put wrong with an excellent set spanning their more recent output, inc a sprinkling from my favourite album, Golden Archipelago.

Hard to describe them though. But look up Animal Life and you won't be far off it (on Youtube)

Still. Very glad I got to see them :)
Rob Is The Lord Of The Badgers Is Rob

my band of folky miscreants

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Shearwater

Postby funex » Wed Nov 28, 2012 15:25

Thor Harris is an incredible drummer/percussionist.

He's also in Swans. That says a lot.

<3 Shearwater also.
Soggy fish. Soggy.

Lord of the Badgers
All Spectacular

Re: Shearwater

Postby Lord of the Badgers » Sun Dec 02, 2012 23:21

funex wrote:Thor Harris is an incredible drummer/percussionist.

He's also in Swans. That says a lot.

<3 Shearwater also.

Sadly Thor wasn't on the tour for some reason (don't think it's permanent) - but this guy was just awesome too
Rob Is The Lord Of The Badgers Is Rob

my band of folky miscreants