Glastonbury Festival, Somerset, 22nd - 24th June 2007

Here you can post your Gig reviews, announce concerts and stuff, all that kind of stuff basically

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Wed May 16, 2007 14:42

You could call it performance art and make a bundle off pretentious know nothing snobs!

I've been to Reading twice and it was incredible the first time and a bit... iffy the second. I still had a great time, but I do think a lot of that had to do with sharing a tent with Mrs Gubbins... The line up this year is obscene for what they're asking. 150 pounds to watch Jimmy Eat World play two sets... There's only one band in the entire thing I'd want to see and that's Smashing Pumpkins. With day tickets priced at around 90 pounds (a good deal more expensive than the whole weekend was when it started) I doubt I'll be going at all.

It's all about BESTIVAL!!!! Best of all the festivals!

Fiery Gun Lad
Gold Cardiac

Postby Fiery Gun Lad » Wed May 16, 2007 16:56

steve adams wrote:hi fiery dont you mean 1990 or 1992 :?
as 1991 was cancelled

...you're quite right - i went to Reading in '91 & went to Glasto in '92 - my brain's not wot it used to be!

To be fair to Michael Eavis, the ridiculous amount of people fence jumping made the festival far too crowded & the level of crime untenable. Since the mega fence was installed it has made it safer & less frantic but has unfortunately sanitised the weekend with all the traveller types no longer welcome & less of a variety of punters present.

It's harder to get drugs (if you're that way inclined) but you're far less likely to return to your tent finding it ripped open & emptied of it's contents.

As for the variety of bands, it's true that the main stages are fairly predictable with their line ups, but there's loads of other smaller stages dotted about the site which don't get a look in on the TV coverage which has never done justice to what's really out there.

You could go for the whole weekend & not see a single band & still have a fantastic time although i have to concede that shite weather will put a dampener on things (see what i did there? get it!?)

It's still my favourite festival & i've been to loads of different ones which have sometimes come close but never topped it...

that's my word gush over with - cheers!
...there's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets...

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Wed May 16, 2007 17:09

But... Is Bjork headlining? I really wanna know!

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Wed May 16, 2007 17:44

Fiery Gun Lad wrote:Just wondered if any bods from these here parts managed to procure any tickets like what i did.

Well they did all the registering, took mugshots, got reg. nos. etc. -- i thought it was such a long shot and to be honest i'm not bothered either way, mass collective festivity on that scale is ok in principle... but as they refreshed and redialled by some fluke they got a bunch of tickets, "you'll enjoy it once you're there". :|

My first experience of festivals was the '74 Windsor Free one and a few after; then we went to Glastonbury 2003, which was good in parts. In fact seeing Arthur Lee and Love do Forever Changes with the little orchestra was pretty extraordinary; and it weaned our daughter on to the idea that camping + bands, is better than camping.

So i suppose i missed all the good'uns and all the crappy ones -- now, festivals seem to me to be either metal/bloke-ish like Reading, or middle-class like all these small-scale colour-supplement ones; i can do without the cool, ravey ones. We went to WOMAD a few years ago (we have a lot of friends who always go), which i tried my best to enjoy but found it awkward and dull, with the reverence that foreignness engenders in certain precious English-types ("shhh, we're watching an African").
The last few years we've gone to Beautiful Days which is half-hour drive from here, with regular friends -- it's not too big, bit of a Levellers' vibe (it's their festival) -- good folk/reggae/dancey mix and a nice relaxed late-August weekend.

I imagine it's TV that's buggered Glastonbury -- it's manifestly a big pop-promo, who wants to see Shirley Bassey, or Kylie? -- or The Killers (again) -- my 12-year old for one...
I'll avoid what i can, and have a good nose about the edges. :)

Fiery Gun Lad
Gold Cardiac

Postby Fiery Gun Lad » Thu May 17, 2007 16:27

Gubbins, the official line up hasn't been released yet but the following bands have been strongly rumoured to be there-

The Arctic Monkeys
Kaiser Chiefs
The Killers
Shirley Bassey
Klaxons
Bjork

Nothing outrageously spectacular there but there'll be plenty of other stuff to tickle your fancy, i'm sure...

The Arthur Lee & Love set in '03 was amazing, one of my top festy moments!

As for my wish list of bands at Glasto this year, i'd love Cardiacs to do a set somewhere but really hope Devo make it as they're in the UK doing other gigs around the country & have a nice big gap in their tour dates where they could easily pop along to Glastonbury- here's hoping!

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Thu May 17, 2007 16:37

phew-6 bands i defiantly don't want to see...kaiser chiefs! :toimonster:

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Thu May 17, 2007 16:54

Fiery Gun Lad wrote:The Arthur Lee & Love set in '03 was amazing, one of my top festy moments!

:D It was just the most perfectly beautiful performance -- the film of it that BBC4 broadcast a couple of times gets pretty close considering. Not a note wrong, and the accompanying strings and brass were gorgeous -- sad that old Arthur died just a few years after, it really was a seminal moment.

Fiery Gun Lad wrote:...i'd love Cardiacs to do a set somewhere...

Yeh, i heard a rumour they might be playing -- oh, no, i started it. :roll:

I found these (only ones sadly).

A House is not a Motel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaZW3JnXdUo

7 and 7 is, the closing number:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxWpji7fXDI

Fiery Gun Lad
Gold Cardiac

Postby Fiery Gun Lad » Thu May 17, 2007 17:12

One band i've heard are playing but forgot to mention - The Who, or what's left of them!

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Thu May 17, 2007 17:28

i must admit that it is a good crack-i think as you get older your taste change-yeah glasto was great when i was 18-music all sounded so fresh when your that age........its great that alot of younger people are going-i hope they see something on the side that they didn't plan to see(thats what happened with me-i ended up in a little tent watching back to the planet followed by banco de gaia-everyone else fvcked off to watch oasis!)

in a fortnight i'm off to wychwood,heres a link if you want to check out the line up(no kaiser monkeys i'm afraid.....)

http://www.wychwoodfestival.com/

dirty boy
Diamond Cardiac

Postby dirty boy » Thu May 17, 2007 18:44

Mr Dogstand wrote:I met Mrs D one week after the 1999 festival. We had both been there at the same time, and when we checked our photos, we had obviously been standing extremely close to each other on several occasions from the position of the shots watching.......aah Gay Dad and Electrasy!!!! - I'm probably alone in liking both those bands!! :) :)

I went to the children's tent to watch Bodger and Badger too!!

We went to 2000 as well... i get the two mixed up and remember them as being the same year tho :?

many hilarious memories tho, that guy off his tits asking us to help him find his keys and commenting on my felix the housecat t-shirt, bodger and badger being awesome as usual and of course glasto 2000 was my first live cardiacs experience (even tho jim wasn't there)

i'd love to go again at some point... think i might go to download next year instead tho and get a bit metal at some of the smaller stages (main stage at download is usually crappy commercial band who claim to be alternative becuase they play real instruments!)

wahey x
Son of Dogstand

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Thu May 17, 2007 19:28

The Who and Bjork... That is amazing. I just know the rest of the line up will be commercial crowd pleasing filler though... Hmm.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Tue Jun 19, 2007 19:45

Well 'bout to start loading the car up -- so's we can get an early start and an elevated pitch above the mud-slides.

I'll maybe try to post a from our own correspondent type of thing if they've got one of those Medieval Internet Caffies.

bye bye
:)

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Tue Jun 19, 2007 19:50

yeah have a good one dogsetc-i hope you have a bit of luck with the weather-i went to wychwood other week and the forecast was rain for the whole weekend-not a drop was spilt and i got sunburnt! ouch!! (got a great brown tan now though :D )

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Tue Jun 19, 2007 20:20

Yeah send us a telegram Dogs!
have fun

I might go see Man Man Sunday; it's an hour's drive though and my car doesn't sport AC. Am not feeling that hardcore at the moment!
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Tue Jun 19, 2007 22:06

Gubbins wrote:The Who and Bjork... That is amazing. I just know the rest of the line up will be commercial crowd pleasing filler though... Hmm.

Hehe, the who and bjork aren't really out there though are they? They're as mainstream as they come.

who wants to see Shirley Bassey, or Kylie?

I'd want to see them both if I was there :( shirley bassey would be great.