The Cult

Here you can post your Gig reviews, announce concerts and stuff, all that kind of stuff basically

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

The Cult

Postby Alternate BC » Wed May 09, 2007 19:58

I'm going to The Cult, or is it Cult ? in June.

Saw them two years ago in the summer. It was 36 degrees outside and 50 degrees inside the venue, we were soaking wet, but what fun !

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Thu May 10, 2007 13:22

I went right off them when Ian Astbury went all Jim Morrisson. 'Electric' is a great album album though. They must be knocking on a bit now...

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Thu May 10, 2007 16:13

I saw them playing on Pinkpop once. The only thing the singer (is that Ian?) did was shouting and cursing at the audience....and saying 'fvcking' in every sentence...he didn't like audiences I guess...
I immediately lost my interest for the band.

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Thu May 10, 2007 17:02

whippersnapper wrote:I saw them playing on Pinkpop once. The only thing the singer (is that Ian?) did was shouting and cursing at the audience....and saying 'fvcking' in every sentence...he didn't like audiences I guess...
I immediately lost my interest for the band.

Oh, he has mellowed down a bit. And his voice has been gone for years, but i love the music and Billy Duffy's guitarplay.

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Wed Jun 06, 2007 13:21

Twas a good show.

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 00:40

Sorry but i hate the cult,especially that bloody she sells sanctuary tune and i thought Ians black and white hair do was rubbish! :x

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Thu Jun 07, 2007 08:24

Your point ?

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:42

...I've seen them a couple of times (touring 'Dreamtime', 'Love' and 'Electric') and can testify as to their entertainment value back then...however, as someone who idly followed them from their Southern Death Cult incarnation (and who did the pointy toe dance to 'She Sells Sanctuary' at many a goth disco) I remember being unconvinced by their attempt to go Drivetime* with their 'Electric' album...imho that was their 'jump the shark' moment...me and my mates, typical eighties Midlands indie kids, were equally into metal, goth, punk, folk and so on, and one thing we were always hyper-alert for was disengenuous and inauthentic careerist behaviour by 'our' bands (possibly a teenage thing, I admit)...but the fact remains, if you want an AC/DC album you buy an AC/DC album, not a Cult album, and 'Electric' signified a disconnect between the band and their audience, and between the band and their previously recorded works...I think we rumbled 'Electric' for the dollar chasing transatlantic mongrel that it was, and support for the Cult just fell away among our crowd almost overnight...seriously, in Leicester at least, folk who liked 'Love' were REALLY pissed off by 'Electric'...and our affections migrated elsewhere en mass (in my case, New Model Army, Jesus and Mary Chain, Loop, My Bloody Valentine, The Smiths)...ah, the fickleness of youth...

*several years later Primal Scream repeated the trick with 'Give Out But Don't Give Up', albeit with less financial success

*EDIT* I can't believe I've just written such a serious and considered screed about the bloody Cult...Jeezus... :roll:

Buds and Spawn
Silver Cardiac

Postby Buds and Spawn » Thu Jun 07, 2007 13:54

And I thought the pointy toe dance was a figment of my imagination! It was real after all..... :roll:

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 14:09

Alternate BC wrote:Your point ?

None at all,its just a knee jerk reaction thing whenever the band is mentioned i'm afraid!

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 14:23

Oh dear, well I like 'She Sells Sanctuary' and 'Electric'! Perhaps all* my friends are right - I do have terrible taste in music... :oops:

I always thought it was with the 'Sonic Temple' album that they properly lost it personally - when went they went earnestly lumbering down the 'bad metal' road.

(*read 'both'.)

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Thu Jun 07, 2007 14:39

Big kiss to Batesy

And Meenie:

The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult The Cult

How's your knee ? :lol:

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 16:15

Quite jerky! :lol:

Jammy D
New fish

Postby Jammy D » Thu Jun 07, 2007 19:36

I agree with Batesy on this one, Electric is a good funtime album. Sure, it's pretty much like an AC/DC album, but none of the AC/DC albums have lyrics as bad as those in Aphrodisiac Jacket. "Plastic fantastic lobster telephone"? My word.

In other news: hello, I'm new.

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Thu Jun 07, 2007 20:26

...wotcher Jammy, welcome to the forum and so on... :D

(and I can tolerate 'Electric' now, albeit as some kind of ironic artifact...the passage of time can work wonders)
:rock: