36%
- Other
39%

Total votes: 28

schlep
Cardiacsy

What is the WORST Thing About Cardiacs?

Postby schlep » Wed Feb 23, 2011 16:23

'The' Cardiacs are, of course, a load of shit. What do you think makes them anathema to so many?
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re: What is the WORST Thing About Cardiacs?

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 18:14

(1) Not having the name "Frank Zappa."

(2) Never at any time during a long career spending as much as 30 seconds doing free improvisation.

(3) No 12-tone atonality anywhere.

(4) A career-long refusal to sing in Kobaian.

(5) Not extending the humiliate-Jim rituals to ritual audience humiliation.

(6) Not lending their efforts to Michael Jackson's "We Are The World" when it would've mattered.

(7) A refusal to stand in solidarity with anarcho-syndicalism.

(8) The fact that Tim Smith and Sarah Cutts aren't secretly brother and sister.

(9) Where are the drum solos?

10) Where are the kazoo solos?

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 19:34

"I don't UNDERSTAND them"...

Why people need to understand things?
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:24

Sterbus wrote:"I don't UNDERSTAND them"...

Preface: Emanuele Borghi's nickname is Manu. Is that a nickname you use, or would you prefer to be called Emanuele? Or just SterBOOZE :rolleyes:

That doesn't strike me as a genuine complaint, unless it's coming from an Italian referring specifically to the lyrics. People who feel a strong need to intellectually understand what they're listening to can usually wrap their minds around bands like Cardiacs (or Zappa, for that matter) and find some kind of understanding that works for them, whether or not it's anything the bands would recognize.

The typical complaint is that the music doesn't connect emotionally or on a gut level. And while these folks may have a laundry list of particular reasons why (that schlep and myself were facetiously parodying), it's not like they're failing to arrive at an "understanding."

There are plenty of bands I don't like that I understand perfectly well, at least to my own satisfaction, and that understanding them even more wouldn't do a thing to make me like them more, although maybe I might be able to appreciate them more and say nicer things about them. But it wouldn't change the effect the music has on me. That's different from understanding.

Bob

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:43

Hm fair point. People who don't understand simply don't understand that they've come to an understanding about them.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:55

schlep wrote:Hm fair point. People who don't understand simply don't understand that they've come to an understanding about them.

It's not a tautology, schlep; it's a verbal ambiguity. Intellectual understanding is in contrast to an emotional or gut response which people also "understand."

It's much more common not to get Cardiacs on a gut or emotional level than it is to reject them because one can't intellectually understand them.

Bob

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Wed Feb 23, 2011 22:31

It all sounds the same, a mess of overwrought contrariness in "we're crazy" hats and voices just for the sake of it. A fvcking waste of time.

To pick up on the What's new on YouTube thread, when I first heard Tim's voice I only heard a standard straining punk whine. Now years later when we get to hear a bunch of attempted covers at once, we realise it became a very fine whine.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Re:

Postby schlep » Wed Feb 23, 2011 22:44

Made Of Worms wrote:It all sounds the same, a mess of overwrought contrariness in "we're crazy" hats and voices just for the sake of it. A fvcking waste of time.

Wow. That about covers it! I suspect it's the straining-at-every-limb whine though, for most.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Thu Feb 24, 2011 00:48

I have a good friend with a very wide musical taste, classical background, into a lot of prog and avant-garde but also The Beatles and a huge raft of 80s FM radio music (Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Modern English, etc.). I turned him onto Cardiacs with only partial success. He thinks Guns is a great album, "Buds and Spawn" an incredible song ... but he can only go so far with them.

His carefully-chosen stilletto is "zany."

Bob

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Thu Feb 24, 2011 03:42

schlep wrote:That about covers it!

Not at all. Don't even get me started on the emotional manipulation by numbers. Cabaret numbers that is, tuh, gay, I'm sure he is a very special man to you duckie. And what about that meterless stream of spew, "Ooh isn't it weird growing up parti-cularly in the seven-ties digging for worms under the pi-er with bombs and shells and Peter Glaze and hands up who remembers Spangles oi oi hands down love all pom pom." Not to mention the incessant editing and overdubbing and playing along to tapes in an attempt to palm the whole tuneless one trick twattery off as some sort of musical accomplishment. Don't give me beautiful, don't give me majestic, Cardiacs are a bag of shite. I'm sorry schlep, it's impossible to name just one worst thing. They're probably racists too, look at them, some of them like Magma.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re:

Postby Snardbafulator » Thu Feb 24, 2011 04:40

Made Of Worms wrote:
schlep wrote:That about covers it!

Not at all. Don't even get me started on the emotional manipulation by numbers. Cabaret numbers that is, tuh, gay, I'm sure he is a very special man to you duckie. And what about that meterless stream of spew, "Ooh isn't it weird growing up parti-cularly in the seven-ties digging for worms under the pi-er with bombs and shells and Peter Glaze and hands up who remembers Spangles oi oi hands down love all pom pom." Not to mention the incessant editing and overdubbing and playing along to tapes in an attempt to palm the whole tuneless one trick twattery off as some sort of musical accomplishment. Don't give me beautiful, don't give me majestic, Cardiacs are a bag of shite. I'm sorry schlep, it's impossible to name just one worst thing. They're probably racists too, look at them, some of them like Magma.

Oh shit, once again I'm glad my coffee's at a safe distance ...

Damn, I guess I'll never have to feel guilty anymore for being too mean to Marnie Stern.

Bob

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 17:52

All those poncy highbrow obscure literary references. Honestly, who do they think they're trying to impress? Everyone knows real rock songs are only about birds, shagging and shagging birds.
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Thu Feb 24, 2011 18:45

Pheeel wrote:All those poncy highbrow obscure literary references. Honestly, who do they think they're trying to impress? Everyone knows real rock songs are only about birds, shagging and shagging birds.

"Poncy." That's one to add to the collection.

Bob

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 18:46

Snardbafulator wrote:
Sterbus wrote:"I don't UNDERSTAND them"...

Preface: Emanuele Borghi's nickname is Manu. Is that a nickname you use, or would you prefer to be called Emanuele? Or just SterBOOZE :rolleyes: Bob

We got three nicks generally for Emanuele: girls usually use Ema, boys Manu and gays Lele :D
You can call me Lele if you want :oops: and, the more important thing, STERBUS is pronounced all'italiana, so it is STERBUS where the "U" is like the double "O" in COOL. I'm not a bus company !!! (even if I know a real Ulsterbus really exists in norther Ireland) so probably STERBOOZE is more exact... :?:

Coming back on topic, I try to add one thing: many people hates having fun, they prefer to look serious as cancer so they can be seen more like real men, and probably get some females in order to reproduce themselves; that's why sometimes people with a strong sense of humour - like everyone here on this forum LOL - are seen as weak... you can't really like this kind of music, it contains too much informations, you can not control it neither* control the people who listen to it. At least that's what I feel here surrounding me. Pardonnez-moi for the language but I'm angry today

(* i hope the use of the word "neither" is correct)
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Thu Feb 24, 2011 18:46

1. Stupid 'look how wacky we are' videos
2. Fans border on cult
3. Painful 'audience participation', lead singer not funny
4. The 'cardiacs family'