A N Other
29%

Total votes: 24

Fu Manchu
Diamond Cardiac

Science Fiction Authors

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Jul 20, 2007 01:53

Who is your favourite?

I vote Philip K Dick every time, and also have time for Clifford D Simak, John Wyndham, H G Wells, Harry Harrison, James P Blaylock (his novels have an element of fantasy), George Turner and Douglas Adams...

If you vote A N Other, please state the author in your reply, because I am a nosey bassa... 8)

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:03

Jack Vance, you nosey bastard ;)

Does anyone know Ora:kel by Kevin O'Donell. This is one of my favourite books.

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:30

...oooh...Science Fiction......home turf...

...I really want to post a big old cross-referenced multi-threaded mega-list here, to do justice to this magnificent yet critically overlooked genre, but I need coffee and breakfast...no doubt I'll be p1ssing away the next couple of hours compiling a more complete nerdburst, but for now I'm casting my vote for J G Ballard...a class act all round...
"actually...its 'Speculative Fiction"

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:58

abnego wrote:I'm casting my vote for J G Ballard...a class act all round...

I really struggle with reading fiction nowadays, in fact for years -- but Ballard is a writer i really would like to be bothered with. I read the recentish Cocaine Nights and Super-Cannes, and they seemed to be not science-fiction at all -- very political and sociological in concern i would say.

Oh, i didn't see the little 'speculative fiction' -- all fiction's speculative really isn't it, it's made up and it speculates with possible actions and events.
:?

Ally Craig
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Ally Craig » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:06

I voted Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide was a big favourite of mine in my "formative years" and I love the Dirk Gently books.

I started getting into Philip K. Dick a while back, but I never managed to get through the last couple of books of his I've picked up. Maybe I just find it hard to connect with someone that drug-addled and paranoid.

One name that's not on the list is Kurt Vonnegut. I only got into him recently, but I read three books of his in a row, I love his writing style. The Sirens of Titan is pure sci-fi really, and one of Douglas Adams's favourites. Apparently there's a film in the works, although I hate to think how far it will veer from my imagination.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:25

Fu Manchu wrote:Who is your favourite?

I vote Philip K Dick every time, and also have time for Clifford D Simak, John Wyndham, H G Wells, Harry Harrison, James P Blaylock (his novels have an element of fantasy), George Turner and Douglas Adams...

If you vote A N Other, please state the author in your reply, because I am a nosey bassa... 8)

Ah ye wee nitpicker ye! ;) Nae happy wi' me fantasy poll huh? :wink:

But since you've been so jolly kind to ask old chap, I do believe that my favourite SF author is John Wyndham. ;)

Or perhaps H.G. Wells :wink:

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:26

i think whoever wrote the bible is the best science fiction writer!
i mean, all the celestial beings and stuff, blood from stones, wine from water, bread from the skies and stuff! brilliant! what an imagination!!!! people die, come to life again etc, classic!!!!
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:27

Ally Craig wrote:One name that's not on the list is Kurt Vonnegut.

I also just realised that he's not on my fantasy list either, and should be. A great author, I simply forogt to include him.

The Bronx
Diamond Cardiac

Postby The Bronx » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:44

John Wyndham. Day of the Triffids is excellent, as are many of his other books. If you haven't read Day of the Triffids don't be put off by the ropey old film they made of it with Howard Keel. There's much more to this superb book than most people who haven’t read it imagine.

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:57

The Bronx wrote:If you haven't read Day of the Triffids don't be put off by the ropey old film they made of it with Howard Keel.

...agreed, that film is a travesty...... the BBC tv adaption is pretty good though...
Last edited by brother abnego on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:57

soz i voted A N other, it being Frank Herbert, for the Dune series-me personally think the film's terrible compared to the original book-but i prefer the ones he did later on in the series,like Chapterhouse Dune.
but i love stuff like clifford d simak and ray bradbury.a great ray bradbury short story that springs to mind is one called Kaleidoscope,quite alot to explain but if i find a link somewhere i'll put one up.
also i loved all the 2001 series-2001,2010,2061 and 3001.
also i like the works of a guy called Jeff Noon-stuff like Vurt.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:19

The Bronx wrote:John Wyndham. Day of the Triffids is excellent, as are many of his other books. If you haven't read Day of the Triffids don't be put off by the ropey old film they made of it with Howard Keel. There's much more to this superb book than most people who haven’t read it imagine.

Agreed, the first Wyndham book I read years and years ago was The Kraken Wakes, excellent stuff. Then I read Tales of Gooseflesh and Laughter which were really good spooky humour stories. Then I read The Day of the Triffids. And I keep promising myself that soon I'll read The Chrysalids as well, it's been sitting in my "waiting to read pile" for years
Last edited by Stoneage Dinosaurs on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:19

Oh yeah, Dune is great too.

Fu Manchu
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:18

frostbyte wrote:i think whoever wrote the bible is the best science fiction writer!
i mean, all the celestial beings and stuff, blood from stones, wine from water, bread from the skies and stuff! brilliant! what an imagination!!!! people die, come to life again etc, classic!!!!

Interesting choice Frosty...none other than Philip K Dick referred to the bible as the greatest sci-fi novel ever... :)

Nep
Silver Cardiac

Postby Nep » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:19

I voted Douglas Adams but Harry Harrison deserves a mention too, I loved his Bill the Galactic Hero series back when I was a young'un! :D

Return to “Polls”