's A'right
13%
Doxy Droppings
50%

Total votes: 8

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Tue Jul 17, 2007 23:38

Lol Drake wrote:They don't touch me for insurance 'cos I'm under 21.

I also have this annoyingness whereby I had insurance when I was provisional. So I have 3 years no claims and only got my licence last year. This makes it hard to get quotes and at the moment my current insurer says I only have 2 years no claims :-S

Ah yes! Young drivers are a popular drawer with the more disreputable high street insurers as a way of creaming in massive premiums if you know how to play the system. If they don't want you, chances are that's exactly the sort of company you ought to be with :(

On paper, drivers under 25 (& especially under 21) are any right minded insurance company's worst nightmare: part of it is due to a lack of experience, but a lot of it has to do with the simple fact young drivers will use their cars a helluva lot more than most: the more you use it, the greater the chance of a smash up - and the fact the other wally was to blame is no conpensation...

But now we see all these adverts saying that "Insure with us and young drivers can earn their own No Claims Discount even when they are not the main driver!"

Sounds ideal: mumsie & dadsie think...ooo, goody, we'll insure this car in our names with one of us as the main drivers even though it's our son/daughter (what is known in the trade as a "fronted policy") to make it cheaper and then he/she's earning their own No Claims Discount (aka NCD).

Read the small print suckers - the one that says that the NCD is NOT TRANSFERABLE to another company, unlike other bona fide No Claims Discounts as opposed to marketing gimmicks! And have a look at that Compulsory Excess they've just put on your policy....£500, and that banger you just got them is only worth £700!

And you can complain to the Financial Services Authority all you like when you realise you've been had if you try to transfer to a company offering a far better deal for your money. :twisted:

Oh, & if your offspring should prang the car, & you tell us there is more than one car in the household, don't be too surprised if the Claims Department suddenly get all high and mighty, "by gad, this is a fronted policy", and the amount of money you THOUGHT you were going to get on your claim gets clawed back because you broke the rules. :(

Golden rule of car insurance...in fact the golden rule of ALL insurance: beware of the ones that spend a fortune on advertising on TV. Especially the "we make it all so EASY AND CHEAP" merchants. The more CHEESE, the more SLEEZE, and I've lost count the number of irate people I deal with on a day to day basis that found the policies they had were rubbish.

And it's all very well people going on about complaining to the Financial Ombudsman, that all takes lots of time to go though, by which time they've found another 2000 suckers to replace you & more than cover the cost of any fine they get hit with (if the Ombudsman rules in your favour, that is...) with plenty left to line the directors already bulging wallets.

My advice? Only ever ask the Mutuals for insurance. They have the most to lose if they fall out with you, as virtually all their trade is through personal recommendation rather than from folk seeing them advertise.

Lol Drake
All Spectacular

Postby Lol Drake » Wed Jul 18, 2007 01:30

I was with Tesco for 2 years and now Endsleigh.

£773 first year, £509 2nd year and £408 third year. Third Party Fire and Theft, own insurance, no claims. 1.6litre F reg Golf. Not bad, actually.

It annoys me - My Mum has had 2 prangs in recent years - The first being some stupid old t***er who went into the back of her on a roundabout, writing off her car. (Bet his insurance was only about 20p a year)

THEN I leant her my (first) Golf, which got reversed into by some IDIOT boy racer (she was parked in a car park, reading a book and he just reversed into her whilst racing his tw**ty mate) who was on his Mum's insurance.

The insurance Mum got for my £295 Golf was £3200. We still drove it round with a big dent in the back for another 18 months and it passed the next MOT needing only a 49p fog light bulb. The insurance claims paid for Mum's new car, my "new" £165 Golf (6 months older than the last one) and other bits and bobs - not all bad I guess...

Does annoy me though when the Insurance is way over twice what I paid for my car. It costs me more to tax my car than it would to buy it over again!

The classic I'm restoring is an MG B GT but it would be about £800 with Adrian Flux. Dad's going to see if he can put me on it as a second driver just for the summer (not a whole year) while I keep the Golf. Anyone got any experience in this?

Sorry to hijack the thread...

mechanism
Gold Cardiac

Postby mechanism » Wed Jul 18, 2007 15:44

Who wants to see a crummy wizard when you can have giant robots fighting eachother...

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 18:28

Yesss!

Transformers is gonna ruuuuuuuuuuuuule! :D

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Wed Jul 18, 2007 19:23

Meenie wrote:Yesss!

Transformers is gonna ruuuuuuuuuuuuule! :D

Yeah, until their batteries run out! :lol:

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Thu Jul 19, 2007 01:15

i watched it this evening, i quite enjoyed it, and some parts were really good, but the story was a bit boring, especially compared to the book, it could have been so much better. and they did leave out loads of important stuff. but it was a fun night at the pictures nonetheless
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:40

frostbyte wrote:i watched it this evening, i quite enjoyed it, and some parts were really good, but the story was a bit boring, especially compared to the book, it could have been so much better. and they did leave out loads of important stuff. but it was a fun night at the pictures nonetheless

There's a Transformers book ?

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:43

...its a colouring book... :wink:

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:29

abnego wrote:...its a colouring book... :wink:

...and a pop-up book... :wink:

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:40

Alternate BC wrote:
frostbyte wrote:i watched it this evening, i quite enjoyed it, and some parts were really good, but the story was a bit boring, especially compared to the book, it could have been so much better. and they did leave out loads of important stuff. but it was a fun night at the pictures nonetheless

There's a Transformers book ?

haha, i was on about harry potter, sorry
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Fri Jul 20, 2007 20:44

Alternate BC wrote:There's a Transformers book ?

abnego wrote:...its a colouring book... :wink:

Pet Lamb wrote:...and a pop-up book... :wink: