73%
Not jolly well likely, i'll call a cab.
27%

Total votes: 15

dogsetc.

Journey by a London Bus

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Apr 13, 2007 22:39

Move along inside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBOcLnyMX-M

Including rare rural sighting of blacks.

(via steve adams' Victor Lewis Smith clip http://www.cardiacs.org/forum/viewtopic ... 7413#27413)

The Bronx
Diamond Cardiac

Postby The Bronx » Fri Apr 13, 2007 23:50

I love films like this.

The best bit is where the passengers board the bus in an orderly manner ... and the conductor controls everything in a cheerful way.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sat Apr 14, 2007 01:59

Yup, I'd visit more than once every mid-november if it was like that. I'd join the field-dwelling jungle bunnies and suburban cripples in a flash. Ting ting.

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:00

...fourpence to Hammersmith Odeon for me, and cheap at twice the price...I want to sit on the top deck, at the front...damn, its taken...

...incidentally, this film is one of many thousands of pieces of movie ephemera available for free download (in different formats and file sizes) at archive.org...I've mentioned archive.org a few times on this forum, and this probably won't be the last; if like me, you are of the video art/film making/VJ persuasion, you'll find this place to be an enormous resource of audiovisual stuff going back to the early twentieth century, everything is royalty free or out of copyright, and there are some real gems to be found, particularly in the prelinger archive section...and it certainly beats all that heartbreaking hassle of p1ssing around trying to save YouTube video files to your desktop with 'keepvid', only to end up with an artifact-ridden plague dog of a .flv clip...oh, also, archive.org have a growing collection of 'proper' movies too; I downloaded 'Things To Come' as a broadcast quality mpeg 2 the other day, and burnt a DVD of it...I'm downloading a 1950's Sci-Fi potboiler called 'The Day The Sky Exploded' right now (spontaneous nerd dance)...

...here's the page for the london bus film;

http://www.archive.org/details/journey_ ... on_bus_TNA

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:18

Starting to fill up a bit up top.
Cheers abnego, Vicki Bennett/People Like Us is a keen user of that source: http://www.peoplelikeus.org/ for her mashed up films etc. Here's her Story Without End: http://www.archive.org/details/STORY_WITHOUT_END

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sat Apr 14, 2007 15:59

dogsetc. wrote:Starting to fill up a bit up top.

Yes, it's been an emotional Routemaster for all concerned.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 21:12

Of course for historical accuracy in the poll wordage, one 'hailed' a cab in the 1950s, rather than called, which is what we do now with our phones.

Oh and according to one 'reviewer' on the archive.org site, the buses in the film are all RTs, pre-dating the famed Routemaster. My first love was the RF, the equivalent single-decker, used for the more suburban/country routes as it was a bit more then in 1960s Sutton; specifically the route 80/80A, Morden Station to Walton-on-the-Hill.

Very nice in green:

Apologies to those waiting for a cab.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sun Apr 15, 2007 01:06

Beautiful in green.

When I was a kid there was a local independent bus company still using one of them to get us into town for 12p, painted grey.

Old bus appreciation thread. Is that what you intended Timmy Smith?

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 13:18

i went on two london busses last night,one was boring the other one had a nice man with a dog(like sparky),Mike Meenie took a photo he was that nice(the dog)and a nice lady who had decided to wear every colour she could find,still smelt and was cramped though.
Better option than waiting for a tube train by far!

ChrisLuxford
All Spectacular

Postby ChrisLuxford » Sun Apr 15, 2007 14:25

We had some old London busses at our wedding - one Routmaster and one of the previous model the name of which escapes me. I expect we have some photos of them somewhere.
DANK DISPLEASURE IN EVERY WELL-MEANING GLANCE

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sun Apr 15, 2007 20:30

Made Of Worms wrote:Old bus appreciation thread. Is that what you intended Timmy Smith?

This one's for Tim :)

A sunken lane leading up towards Leith Hill from Dorking.

No this one's for Tim :lol:

A stones throw from the Old Grey Horse where Bill Drake was press-ganged.

The Bronx
Diamond Cardiac

Postby The Bronx » Mon Apr 16, 2007 16:02

dogsetc. wrote:Of course for historical accuracy in the poll wordage, one 'hailed' a cab in the 1950s, rather than called, which is what we do now with our phones.

Oh and according to one 'reviewer' on the archive.org site, the buses in the film are all RTs, pre-dating the famed Routemaster. My first love was the RF, the equivalent single-decker, used for the more suburban/country routes as it was a bit more then in 1960s Sutton; specifically the route 80/80A, Morden Station to Walton-on-the-Hill.

:?: Whatever happend to Freeman Hardy and Willis shoe shops (like the one in the photo)?

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Apr 16, 2007 16:30

Made Of Worms wrote:
Old bus appreciation thread. Is that what you intended Timmy Smith?

A Poll for a Thread of A Bus for a Bus On the Bus
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Mon Apr 16, 2007 18:45

The Bronx wrote:Whatever happend to Freeman Hardy and Willis shoe shops (like the one in the photo)?

Wikipedia (melodramatically) wrote:After providing 'Shoes For All The Family' since 1875, by 1996 Freeman Hardy Willis was no more.

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Mon Apr 16, 2007 19:39

The Bronx wrote:Whatever happend to Freeman Hardy and Willis

They became solicitors