Total votes: 8

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 18:51

Neil Young

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Tue Mar 27, 2007 19:11

Stoneage Dinosaurs wrote:I like good singers. And Paul Simon is a good singer. Bob Dylan isn't in my opinion! For me there is no area in which Dylan is better than Simon.

However, the real clash of the titans would be:

1.Neil Young
2.Bob Dylan
3. Bruce Springsteen

Then I'd vote for ol' Neil!

...aah, hang on though...Neil Young is as American as a Maple leaf...(but he's far and away the king of those three)...

...I've never been a Dylan afficionado...I don't get the hero worship some display towards the guy...he's just never really moved me one way or another...I like a LOT of his music, I'm well familiar with his ouvre, I have a dozen or so of his albums, and I understand his importance in the musical pantheon, his contribution to popular culture, bringing poetry into rock'n'roll, blah de blah

...I think perhaps, a tad over-rated is what he is, and y'know, I think he'd be inclined to agree (he seems a 'no-bullsh1t' kinda guy, and I reckon his ongoing deification probably bugs HIM a bit)...

EDIT - mind you, in a two horse race between Dylan and Simon, I'd narrowly back Dylan...
Last edited by brother abnego on Tue Mar 27, 2007 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Tue Mar 27, 2007 19:14

Neil Young is as good as American in fact I believe he does hold US citizenship. I mean he's lived in the states since 1967 or something.

Agreed, by far and away the best of all names so far mentioned incl. Paul Simons.

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 23:13

I dont buy the whole american/canadian thing.
Canada is to america as scotland is to England.
(the cold bit at the top where the strange ones live)

Neil young maybe Canadian but he drove to around in a hearse called Mort,that alone makes him superior!

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Wed Mar 28, 2007 08:45

Meenie wrote:I dont buy the whole american/canadian thing.
Canada is to america as scotland is to England.
(the cold bit at the top where the strange ones live)

Neil young maybe Canadian but he drove to around in a hearse called Mort,that alone makes him superior!

Exactly, well said. Canadians are just Americans who couldn't get rid of the Brits! :wink:

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Wed Mar 28, 2007 09:10

...well, for what it's worth...I once got into a punch-up with a Canadian who fiercely objected to my assumption that he was American (and this was at a Sonic Youth gig, of all places)...I was pished, and lazily kept referring to him as American, not realising how irate he was getting...he threw his drink over me, I launched myself at him across the table, after a bit of drunken rolling about on the floor we were both thrown out by the bouncers, and sort of came to our senses and made up, outside in the cold night air...aah, memories....

...however......in 2003 I was on holiday in Puerto Vallarta on the Pacific coast of Mexico (very much, as I understand it, the equivalent of 'Spain' as a holiday destination, if you live in the States, in that it's relatively cheap and easy to get to)...there were many of your stereotypical 'big fat loud opinionated' American AND Canadian tourists to be found there, and I have to acknowledge, the only way I could tell them apart was by the flags on their funny little 'one pint plastic cocktail mugs' that they crassly banged on the bar to signal to the overworked bartender that they required a refill..."Hey, buddy, put another pink one in there"...classy!

...and yes, these 'humans' represent a small subset of U.S. citizenry abroad, and yes, we Brits can also be TRULY appalling when on holiday, I'm just cherry picking data relevent to the matter at hand...
8)

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Wed Mar 28, 2007 09:22

abnego wrote:... and yes, we Brits can also be TRULY appalling when on holiday, I'm just cherry picking data relevent to the matter at hand...
8)

Ah viva Espana!!!!! Oi senor mush, where's me shaggin' Sangreeeaaaaaa? :lol:

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Thu Mar 29, 2007 09:37

...by the hotel pool, 10.30 a.m...two young women are making a big deal out of setting up their sunloungers...

..."oh f*ckin' 'ell Kayleigh, now I've gone and spilt Me Flamin' Sambuca! It's gone all dahn me boobs...(filthy cackle)...Ooer, I'm all sticky!...(spots waiter)...Oi, Carlos, bring some bog roll over 'ere can you...(pause)...Y'know (raises voice)...BOG ROLL...(pause)...TOILET PAPER...like what you wipe your arse with...y'know... WIPE YOUR ARSE..." (makes 'wiping your arse hand' motion)...

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Thu Mar 29, 2007 09:47

abnego wrote:...by the hotel pool, 10.30 a.m...two young women are making a big deal out of setting up their sunloungers...

..."oh f*ckin' 'ell Kayleigh, now I've gone and spilt Me Flamin' Sambuca! It's gone all dahn me boobs...(filthy cackle)...Ooer, I'm all sticky!...(spots waiter)...Oi, Carlos, bring some bog roll over 'ere can you...(pause)...Y'know (raises voice)...BOG ROLL...(pause)...TOILET PAPER...like what you wipe your arse with...y'know... WIPE YOUR ARSE..." (makes 'wiping your arse hand' motion)...

Classy birds, then?

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:44

Stoneage Dinosaurs wrote:
abnego wrote:...by the hotel pool, 10.30 a.m...two young women are making a big deal out of setting up their sunloungers...

Classy birds, then?

The only things missing are copious amounts of "she said", "he said" and "I said"...and that would be a good example of conversation by young females... :wink:

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Thu Mar 29, 2007 13:58

Tee hee. Have you heard that Monty Python sketch in a travel agent? The character called Smokes Too Much who can't pronounce the letter C tries to book a holiday and ends up spitting bile about British tourists. It's fantastic.

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Fri Mar 30, 2007 16:10

I tend to book my holidays as far away from english speaking people as possible,the endless shrieks of "sigourney and Courtney" in awful essex drawl i had to endure a few years ago as some old dishwater blonde hag tried to keep her twin daughters from messing up their cheap ass hooker chic hair dont's while swimming makes me shiver with horror to this very day.I hate people in general but i really hate brittish people on holiday!
They should be culled(me excluded obviously)

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Mar 30, 2007 16:57

I can feel this afternoon developing nicely into a good grumble. We've not heard the last of that Bonio.

chippy
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Clash of the American titans!!!

Postby chippy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 21:29

Pet Lamb wrote:
Gubbins wrote:SO, which of the two great giants of American rock music do YOU wish to be associated with?!

Neither... :oops:

heehee me too
There's thousands of people just like me all over