Mares nest dvd out now!!

The latest Cardiacs news is posted here. This is also the place to discuss the news stories. Only Administrators may start new topics here, but all Members may reply to topics.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Spyda
Diamond Cardiac

Re: Mares nest dvd out now!!

Postby Spyda » Tue Aug 27, 2013 19:34

From Facebook . . .
The DVD version is basically the full Maresnest original video with chapters and newly designed front end menus. The format is SD 4:3 as it was originally shot. The original edit was also 4:3 then a 'letterbox' was applied at the time it seems. The sound and pictures are a straight reproduction from the master tape which is an analogue BetaSP format commonly used in the 80s and 90s. The menus feature a little bit of previously unseen footage taken on super 8 film at the time. It is of course all put together with a lot of love.

There was some deterioration in the master tape over the years so you'll notice the usual kinds of tape dropout from any BetaSP master of that age - but other than that it is as good as it will get.
And if she only had stopped making that hissing noise . . .

MisterLettuce
Bronze Cardiac

Postby MisterLettuce » Wed Aug 28, 2013 03:32

Thanks, Spyda. I didn't know that the letterbox was added post-editing. It will be lovely to have the full picture without any cropping this time around.

I'm also very glad to hear that the masters are being used for this! I've bought a few legit and "semi-legit" DVD releases from bands that were definitely from VHS source, so I always have my concerns. A nice BetaSP does look good, I can't wait for this to become available!

ryan
Diamond Cardiac

Postby ryan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:29

Interesting that the sound is taken from the BetaSP, rather than dubbed from the CD master (where appropriate.

Spyda
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Spyda » Wed Aug 28, 2013 17:09

More from Facebook

The original master tape was 4:3 with a letterbox applied to the final edit at the time. Probably to give the impression of being cinematic. This is the only master there is and the DVD is a straight copy of it. There are no new edits or extra bits added to the main video - it is exactly the same as what was on the VHS release.

Above quotes are from Paul Morricone, who was involved in producing the DVD

There is still debate going on as to whether the VHS copy is the same as this master tho.
A lot of people who have seen the DVD say that there seem to be more angles and shots on the DVD copy. . . :lol:
And if she only had stopped making that hissing noise . . .

ryan
Diamond Cardiac

Postby ryan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 18:34

sounds to me like it's a 4:3 picture, with letterboxing, per the VHS.

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 19:12

I don't really care about the OAR. I just want the DVD in my hands! 8)
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Aug 30, 2013 16:50

Damian
All Spectacular

Postby Damian » Sat Aug 31, 2013 23:34

Amusingly, I think a lot of people who weren't at the Bumming Shed still think that we're all perpetrating an elaborate hoax by saying that the DVD is out!

BARRY-KNIGHT
New fish

Postby BARRY-KNIGHT » Sun Sep 01, 2013 00:02

I really need to know where to get hold of one...NOW!!!!! :mrgreen:

andyb71
Bronze Cardiac

Postby andyb71 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 08:53

Yay, available in the shop from 2nd September

Fugazi
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Fugazi » Sun Sep 01, 2013 15:04

Damian wrote:Amusingly, I think a lot of people who weren't at the Bumming Shed still think that we're all perpetrating an elaborate hoax by saying that the DVD is out!

:D
And don't forget the other hoax we're guilty of, that of watching the 1 hour long film of the Garage Concerts practice film :wink: :D

cheers

Steve

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 00:22

Fugazi wrote:
Damian wrote:Amusingly, I think a lot of people who weren't at the Bumming Shed still think that we're all perpetrating an elaborate hoax by saying that the DVD is out!

:D
And don't forget the other hoax we're guilty of, that of watching the 1 hour long film of the Garage Concerts practice film :wink: :D

cheers

Steve

:D :D :D
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Mr. Minnow
All Spectacular

Postby Mr. Minnow » Tue Sep 03, 2013 02:03

Great to see Mares Nest out on DVD. Dare we hope that a DVD release of Seaside Treats could be in the pipeline? Perhaps filled out with other videos currently only to be found on YouTube like Tarred and Feathered, Day is Gone, Is This the Life, Susannah's Still Alive and those early promos of A Little man and a House and R.E.S.? We can but dream!

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 19:22

Mr. Minnow wrote:Great to see Mares Nest out on DVD. Dare we hope that a DVD release of Seaside Treats could be in the pipeline? Perhaps filled out with other videos currently only to be found on YouTube like Tarred and Feathered, Day is Gone, Is This the Life, Susannah's Still Alive and those early promos of A Little man and a House and R.E.S.? We can but dream!

The thing about Mare's Nest is that's it's a professionally shot video, so it was more likely a good quality master would survive intact after twenty odd years. It's when you get into older stuff like Seaside Treats that it gets more problematic, as it's less likely the masters will still be around and useable. Not to mention the fact that the quality was always a bit ropey to start off with, especially given the somewhat haphazard way it was put together.

I'm not sure if the Tarred & Feathered clip was recorded especially for The Tube or not, and that's the case, does that mean it's still owned by whoever has the rights to that material now?
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

Mr. Minnow
All Spectacular

Postby Mr. Minnow » Tue Sep 03, 2013 22:36

The thing about Mare's Nest is that's it's a professionally shot video, so it was more likely a good quality master would survive intact after twenty odd years. It's when you get into older stuff like Seaside Treats that it gets more problematic, as it's less likely the masters will still be around and useable. Not to mention the fact that the quality was always a bit ropey to start off with, especially given the somewhat haphazard way it was put together.

I'm not sure if the Tarred & Feathered clip was recorded especially for The Tube or not, and that's the case, does that mean it's still owned by whoever has the rights to that material now?

You may well be right about the quality of the masters of older material, but I'd still love to see this stuff released on DVD. Seaside Treats was my introduction to Cardiacs, so I do have a particularly strong affection for it, but even leaving that aside it's far too good a video to languish in obscurity. I did e-mail Tim some years ago to ask him if a DVD reissue was planned. His reply was: "soon.....soon.......we'll do it soon.......", i.e. just the kind of direct and informative reply for which Tim is so justly renowned!