Mares nest dvd out now!!

The latest Cardiacs news is posted here. This is also the place to discuss the news stories. Only Administrators may start new topics here, but all Members may reply to topics.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Mares nest dvd out now!!

Postby frostbyte » Sat Aug 24, 2013 22:27

I'm holding a copy in my hands as we speak. :-)
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Mares nest dvd out now!!

Postby Bubby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 22:54

:D :D :D

I had a feeling this might happen what with the shop re-opening and all that and not before time too my copied vhs is looking a bit blurry and overly generated.

North Sea Radio SOS
Silver Cardiac

Postby North Sea Radio SOS » Sat Aug 24, 2013 23:46

<panic attack ensues> uh uh uh where can i buy it from !?!?! please :)
Batman : "What's yellow...and Points !?...."
Robin : " Got it! A BALLPOINT BANANA! "
Batman : " YES!.. ExACTly that Robin ! "

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Sat Aug 24, 2013 23:59

I should think it will be in the shop soon.
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

BARRY-KNIGHT
New fish

Postby BARRY-KNIGHT » Sun Aug 25, 2013 00:06

Wow, I have been waiting to hear that news for years. My poor old vhs is still going strong but the DVD will be a much welcomed addition to the collection. I hope this DVD is the first of many! ::D

andyb71
Bronze Cardiac

Postby andyb71 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 09:02

Yeah, I read there was lots of bumming shed footage shown in Salisbury, need to know more about that and that should get released.

Any extras on the Mares nest DVD ?????

brosephine
Bronze Cardiac

Postby brosephine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:39

OOOOOH :D More infooooo

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 01:30

brosephine wrote:OOOOOH :D More infooooo

Got one, wonderful!

Just checked it out, only to see the church from the outside in the beginning and thinking "I've beeen exactly in there yesterday!"
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

ryan
Diamond Cardiac

Postby ryan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 04:20

apparently it's re-edited...?

MisterLettuce
Bronze Cardiac

Postby MisterLettuce » Mon Aug 26, 2013 06:11

The one thing that I really want to know: How is the video quality? Is it a proper anamorphic widescreen? Does it look to be from the masters, or just a dub off a VHS?

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Mon Aug 26, 2013 08:00

I'm watching it now (yes, this early in the morning, still in a slightly altered headspace after Salisbury). eight songs in, and these are my impressions...

Video quality - very good indeed. Likely from a master or very well looked after first generation copy. Occasional tiny staticky flickers* consistent with 23 year old source tape but nowhere near as gritty/wobbly/artifacty as previous digitisations. screen ratio of the concert footage appears to be 14:9 (although the menu screen looks better at 4:3 or 16:9). Zoomed up full screen on a big tellybox its doing the business right now though.

Sound quality - again, much improved. Close-to-or-identical-to the sound quality on the Mare's Nest CD as far as I can tell. You can hear detail that was muddy and indistinct on previous digitisations, and it's well synced to the video. (note - I'm listening on the slightly underwhelming built-in speakers on a newish Panasonic Viera; on external speakers/soundbar or routed through your stereo I'm guessing it'll sound a lot better)

Overall - Like a familiar old painting that's had a layer of muck scraped off it by archivists before being returned to exhibition.

No extras, no frills, no booklet, but you are all going to want to buy a copy ASAP.

:rock:

*the "look" of these occasional flickers (tiny, momentary and dartlike rather than larger bands/strips) make me think the source video is more likely a (U-matic?) master tape.

Fugazi
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Fugazi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:45

It's a lovely thing to have. I was in the Five Bells on Saturday when The Consultant waved a copy in the air and announced it was being released that day. Huge cheer erupted! :D

Watched it last night - I was only going to watch a couple of songs but kind of couldn't turn it off, y'know? :)

cheers

Steve

Sterbus
mad completist

Re:

Postby Sterbus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 20:12

brother abnego wrote:I'm watching it now (yes, this early in the morning, still in a slightly altered headspace after Salisbury). eight songs in, and these are my impressions...

Video quality - very good indeed. Likely from a master or very well looked after first generation copy. Occasional tiny staticky flickers* consistent with 23 year old source tape but nowhere near as gritty/wobbly/artifacty as previous digitisations. screen ratio of the concert footage appears to be 14:9 (although the menu screen looks better at 4:3 or 16:9). Zoomed up full screen on a big tellybox its doing the business right now though.

Sound quality - again, much improved. Close-to-or-identical-to the sound quality on the Mare's Nest CD as far as I can tell. You can hear detail that was muddy and indistinct on previous digitisations, and it's well synced to the video. (note - I'm listening on the slightly underwhelming built-in speakers on a newish Panasonic Viera; on external speakers/soundbar or routed through your stereo I'm guessing it'll sound a lot better)

Overall - Like a familiar old painting that's had a layer of muck scraped off it by archivists before being returned to exhibition.

No extras, no frills, no booklet, but you are all going to want to buy a copy ASAP.

:rock:

*the "look" of these occasional flickers (tiny, momentary and dartlike rather than larger bands/strips) make me think the source video is more likely a (U-matic?) master tape.

For me the extra is Cardiacs chimes full trumpets at the start!!!
I got a 5.1 system (thanks my brother...) and it's been splitted across all of the 5 channels! ;)
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Lord of the Badgers
All Spectacular

Postby Lord of the Badgers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 21:45

Aye. In chatting with those involved, the tape, though pretty good, was showing its age - so I assume cleaning up was done. It looks damn good :)
I believe it was indeed a master copy.
Sound should be musically identical to MN CD since Tim had to overdub it owing to the constant breaking down of his guitar on the day. I noticed that I'd forgotten about the shot showing him being handed another guitar. Oh & Sarah's sax pickup did disintegrate when she was spinning around if I recall.
I was chatting to Sarah about Mares Nest on Saturday at the Benefit. I said "to think I was here back then..." to which that rather quick wit pointed out; "So was I!". Well it made me smile ... guess you had to be there.. LOL
Rob Is The Lord Of The Badgers Is Rob

my band of folky miscreants

Lord of the Badgers
All Spectacular

Re: Re:

Postby Lord of the Badgers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 21:46

Sterbus wrote:For me the extra is Cardiacs chimes full trumpets at the start!!!
I got a 5.1 system (thanks my brother...) and it's been splitted across all of the 5 channels! ;)

show off! :) that's nice to know
Rob Is The Lord Of The Badgers Is Rob

my band of folky miscreants