AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCMENT

The latest Cardiacs news is posted here. This is also the place to discuss the news stories. Only Administrators may start new topics here, but all Members may reply to topics.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Doubleclick
Silver Cardiac

Re: AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCMENT

Postby Doubleclick » Thu Aug 22, 2013 03:35

North Sea Radio SOS wrote:Apologies for being wet behind the ears on this, but i'm not so up on these things. What are the differences between the CD and LP mix for Heaven Born...?

I'm going to buy the CD from the store, alas i has no record player to put vinyl on, but it'd be interesting to compare the two. Are there CD/LP versions on youtube ?

Youtube compression is horrible, plus it's unlikely people would record to a lossless format before uploading (so it'll have gone through two lossy conversions to get there).

I have the 1991 CD of Heaven Born (cover with simple colour photo of the band standing side by side together), which I'm told is nicer than the embiggened re-release with the four framed portraits cover. Obviously I never bothered buying it again to find out. I'm sure that one's still fantastic though, and I might have been misinformed by snobs. I expect the vinyl mix is from the first master, the 1991 CD too, then I don't know - maybe someone smashed it into a limiter on the later rerelease CD version?

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Thu Aug 22, 2013 09:52

Doubleclick wrote:I have the 1991 CD of Heaven Born (cover with simple colour photo of the band standing side by side together), which I'm told is nicer than the embiggened re-release with the four framed portraits cover. Obviously I never bothered buying it again to find out. I'm sure that one's still fantastic though, and I might have been misinformed by snobs. I expect the vinyl mix is from the first master, the 1991 CD too, then I don't know - maybe someone smashed it into a limiter on the later rerelease CD version?

The 1995 reissue was mastered a little too loud and lost some sonic detail and texture. Nothing catastrophic, but not as pleasant a listening experience as the Rough Trade version.

There was a thread discussing the sound quality of the two different versions a few years back, here.

There was also an email from Tim:

Tim Smith wrote:Hello, is it too loud?

When it was mastered originally it was done at abby road. When we re-mastered it in 95 or whenever it was, we were told it was allowed to be a bit louder so we put the speakers in a bucket and put a mic on the bucket so we could turn it up a bit and we did.

As for the distortion you mention, we hoped no one would notice because some one didn't take the drawing pin out of the bucket and it must have been rattling all about but it was too late for us to correct this because we were kicked out for behaving in a spiteful way.

Hope this helps...

Timmy xxx

My anal little waveform analyses are largely lost to the ages but a solitary screengrab remains, for those that care about such things:

With regard to vinyl/CD, I reckon the HBaEB vinyl album is probably from the Rough Trade master, if the cover pics at the new shop are anything to go by...

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14

North Sea Radio SOS wrote:Apologies for being wet behind the ears on this, but i'm not so up on these things. What are the differences between the CD and LP mix for Heaven Born...?

AFAIK, the LP mix should be identical to the original Rough Trade CD mix. Only one set of vinyl was pressed and that was for Rough Trade. If Brosephine looks on the back of the LP, there should be a Rough Trade symbol somewhere. Any new vinyl that is produced shoudl, logically, be made from the same plates that the original vinyl was made from, as long as those plates still exist.
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

ryan
Diamond Cardiac

Postby ryan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 18:24

brosephine wrote:I have the vinyl from the shop and it sounds pretty gnarly: mastered too loud at points. This may be cos it's a fairly thin bit of vinyl and has been hanging round from 92 though! Can't complain though: still one of the best records these ears have heard...

Aye, it won't be sourced from the remaster.
the cassette will be the quieter version as well, as it goes. only version i've not got though is that!

for what it's worth, the version on iTunes is from the Rough Trade master.

North Sea Radio SOS
Silver Cardiac

Postby North Sea Radio SOS » Thu Aug 22, 2013 20:39

Wow, what a bunch of lovely fellas !

Thank you for all this detail ! :( I REALLY want to rough trade one now ! Unfortunately I haven't got iTunes cuz i haven't got apple products, so i'll have to hunt around some more.

Thank you for the lengthy detailed posts tho everyone, much appreciated !
Batman : "What's yellow...and Points !?...."
Robin : " Got it! A BALLPOINT BANANA! "
Batman : " YES!.. ExACTly that Robin ! "

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:34

drterror666 wrote:

AFAIK, the LP mix should be identical to the original Rough Trade CD mix. Only one set of vinyl was pressed and that was for Rough Trade. If Brosephine looks on the back of the LP, there should be a Rough Trade symbol somewhere. Any new vinyl that is produced shoudl, logically, be made from the same plates that the original vinyl was made from, as long as those plates still exist.

I bought HBAEB on vinyl when it first came out but had to order it and wait several weeks to actually get hold of it. I didn't know it at the time but this was when the distribution arm of Rough Trade collapsed, buggering everything up.

Anyway, I am pretty certain my vinyl copy doesn't mention Rough Trade anywhere on the sleeve although I know the CD does. I'll check tonight but does anyone have a vinyl copy that definitely does? Wondering if there are two sleeves in circulation...

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:57

I can't check because I never bought it on vinyl, only on CD.
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

Spyda
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Spyda » Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:23

No mention of Rough Trade anywhere on sleeve, insert or label of my 1992 vinyl issue.
The 1992 CD with the same cover as the vinyl has "Marketed by Rough Trade Recordings Ltd" at the bottom on the back.
The mixes on both LP and CD sound identical
And if she only had stopped making that hissing noise . . .

Bispy
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Bispy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:44

My order arrived today. :D

Good work to get it to Canada so quickly. gotta save up for some more now.
The more NOW you are, the more THEN you'll be.

snowman
Cardiacs Expert

Postby snowman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 19:55

I got my T-shirt today :D It fits like a glove.

Which is good, as my torso's shaped like a big hand.

North Sea Radio SOS
Silver Cardiac

Postby North Sea Radio SOS » Sat Aug 24, 2013 16:31

Has everyone received their stuff yet ? I haven't ::cry: I don't know whether to bother the nice lady at the shop or not, as i know she said to be patient with orders. I payed on the 16th. I am only impatient because i want it oh so badly :D

Waidmann
New fish

Postby Waidmann » Sat Aug 24, 2013 19:17

North Sea Radio SOS wrote:Has everyone received their stuff yet ? I haven't ::cry: I don't know whether to bother the nice lady at the shop or not, as i know she said to be patient with orders. I payed on the 16th. I am only impatient because i want it oh so badly :D

Have you received the "order has been shipped" confirmation already? After that it shouldn't take long, especially if you are living on the 'isles'. I payed on 16th as well and received my "order has been shipped" on 20th. However, it might take some time till my package arrives in Finland.. Hopefully the pace is easy under sail and there's a capfull of wind for assistance for that mailboat to hurry..

So no, haven't received my stuff yet.
Patience. :)
"and... er ... pretty maids all in a row 'cause my leg is a part of me."

North Sea Radio SOS
Silver Cardiac

Postby North Sea Radio SOS » Sat Aug 24, 2013 23:55

Waidmann wrote:
North Sea Radio SOS wrote:Has everyone received their stuff yet ? I haven't ::cry: I don't know whether to bother the nice lady at the shop or not, as i know she said to be patient with orders. I payed on the 16th. I am only impatient because i want it oh so badly :D

Have you received the "order has been shipped" confirmation already? After that it shouldn't take long, especially if you are living on the 'isles'. I payed on 16th as well and received my "order has been shipped" on 20th. However, it might take some time till my package arrives in Finland.. Hopefully the pace is easy under sail and there's a capfull of wind for assistance for that mailboat to hurry..

So no, haven't received my stuff yet.
Patience. :)

Thanks for the info :)

I'm in England. I have an email receipt titled as an order conformation thingy and everything seems fine and legit :) Received that on the night I ordered the items. I wonder if it's because i ordered a Long sleeve t-shirt as well as two CDs that might be holding things up ? Maybe shirts are ordered from elsewhere and sent to Mary first, before she sends it on ? Really don't want to follow anything up yet, just in case poor Mary is under the kosh with many many orders. As you say. Patience...

i love sarah
Bronze Cardiac

Postby i love sarah » Mon Aug 26, 2013 14:11

I payed on the 15th and I got my order one week later :)

Doubleclick
Silver Cardiac

Re:

Postby Doubleclick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 17:21

brother abnego wrote:...

Helpful, thanks!