A Book For a Book

The latest Cardiacs news is posted here. This is also the place to discuss the news stories. Only Administrators may start new topics here, but all Members may reply to topics.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Belch
Bronze Cardiac
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 16:12

Re: A Book For a Book

Postby Belch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 14:19

Sterbus wrote:Received yesterday!
I'm starting to read this triple book, I like it... loved the Big Ship Iron chapter, very well done... expecting from one moment or another some reference to italian football :)

Thanks, again, wonderful present for my birthday, tomorrow ! (32!)

ps,
So it seems like I got a VHS tape of Cardiacs live in Rome in 1990, and you was'nt there!


Sorry, I never got round to mentioning Italian football, largely because the only time I ever watch Italians playing football is when they are beating England.

As for Mr Big Ship Iron, I've not heard a thing from him recently, so perhaps he wasn't so keen on his own chapter.

Belch
Bronze Cardiac
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 16:12

Re: A Book For a Book

Postby Belch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 14:21

kabukiboy wrote:imagine my surprise when, as i'm reading thru these various adventures, there is mention of the Red Shoot Inn in Linwood! when i was about 11 years old my best friend's parents moved in there and took over the place. i soon got banned from visiting as my pre pubescent punk rock shenanigans didn't go down too well but there ya go.

i also tear up a little when reading the book, particularly when there's talk of concert ending Whole World Window confetti bombs and i'm sad that i'll never experience this spectacle again.

my last cardiacs live experience i think was in 1994 just before leaving england and i was very excited when they played Burn Your House Brown! very excited!

nice work belch - onya!


The Red Shoot Inn and the campsite - a little piece of heaven on earth.

Belch
Bronze Cardiac
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 16:12

Re: A Book For a Book

Postby Belch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 14:24

Bispy wrote:Re-posting my thanks for the book, Belch. Really excellent job.

Please write a history of the band next.


Why thank-you.

As for the band biog thing, I don't think the overlords of the ABC will let me, so I'll write about my career with Tesco instead, as their overlords are less intimidating.

Belch
Bronze Cardiac
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 16:12

Re: A Book For a Book

Postby Belch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 14:30

Fugazi wrote:Thanks Mr Belch, my copy arrived today, I'm looking forward to reading it although I suspect it might be a bitter-sweet experience to read about the highs, energy and atmosphere of a Cardiacs gig, something I arrived too late to savour and probably never will :(

<digress>
By the way, I cannot concur with your note concerning Bill Bruford! Clearly Gavin Harrison is the world's number one drummer. :razz: However, I am patently not even the world's 45,135th best. (that number means something else) ::arrow:

Bill is in my top ten of drummers though, particularly like his ability to be totally free-form and still keep the beat. And his anecdotes are hugely entertaining!
</digress>

cheers

Steve

p.s. Yes, I got the hidden reference in the title. Do I win £10? :D


Well of course, I'm a non-drummer so really I know nothing, but Bruford, Vander and Moerlen have all made my tummy go gooey when seeing them live.

Heh heh, 45,135th best drummer in the world: that made me laugh when I wrote it, and I don't tend to laugh at my own joke funnies (now, if you can get THAT reference - joke funnies- I'll donate a tenner to the Tim fund!).

As for the title of the book, I have had the nightmare of trying to explain it to Chris Squire, realising of course that I was referencing a version of Yes he wasn't in half way through the explanation, but I soldiered on manfully. It was much easier explaining all to Jon Anderson.

User avatar
Fugazi
Diamond Cardiac
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 22:55
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: A Book For a Book

Postby Fugazi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 18:54

Belch wrote:heh heh, 45,135th best drummer in the world: that made me laugh when I wrote it, and I don't tend to laugh at my own joke funnies (now, if you can get THAT reference - joke funnies- I'll donate a tenner to the Tim fund!).

Nope, not getting that reference.
Belch wrote:As for the title of the book, I have had the nightmare of trying to explain it to Chris Squire, realising of course that I was referencing a version of Yes he wasn't in half way through the explanation, but I soldiered on manfully. It was much easier explaining all to Jon Anderson.

Ouch, embarrassing, sir! :oops:

I have read it now, and enjoyed most thoroughly. Anyhoo, whats so special about this one that it costs double the RRP?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aylesbury-Bol ... 20c978286f

Perhaps its one of those rare unsigned copies :wink:

cheers

Steve

Belch
Bronze Cardiac
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 16:12

Re: A Book For a Book

Postby Belch » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31

Fugazi wrote:
Belch wrote:heh heh, 45,135th best drummer in the world: that made me laugh when I wrote it, and I don't tend to laugh at my own joke funnies (now, if you can get THAT reference - joke funnies- I'll donate a tenner to the Tim fund!).

Nope, not getting that reference.
Belch wrote:As for the title of the book, I have had the nightmare of trying to explain it to Chris Squire, realising of course that I was referencing a version of Yes he wasn't in half way through the explanation, but I soldiered on manfully. It was much easier explaining all to Jon Anderson.

Ouch, embarrassing, sir! :oops:

I have read it now, and enjoyed most thoroughly. Anyhoo, whats so special about this one that it costs double the RRP?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aylesbury-Bol ... 20c978286f



Perhaps its one of those rare unsigned copies :wink:

cheers

Steve


""Joke Funnies" was the name of a comic Johnny Fartpants once bought in a very early issue of Viz - bit obscure really.

As for the expensive copy, it was probably one of the review copies (unreviewed) I sent out to the likes of Record Collector, Mojo etc.