A Book For a Book

The latest Cardiacs news is posted here. This is also the place to discuss the news stories. Only Administrators may start new topics here, but all Members may reply to topics.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Re: A Book For a Book

Postby Belch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 16:53

z0mb13e wrote:Well in the cold light of day I should clarify that I wasn't blubbing all the way though the book, quite the opposite in fact. It brought many a smile to my face and reminded me of many happy memories - not least of which was the Feet First club nights being an indie/alt inde kid back then. So for the happy memories, and not for nearly making me cry (at the epilogue), thank you Belch.

Strange that our paths never crossed as I was at at least 20 or so of those gigs (I never kept a diary or journal unfortunately) from the Mares Nest filming that sunny summer day in 1990 (at the tender age of 16) to the Nov 2007 gig in Portsmouth (where I was suitably impressed that anyone had managed 100 gigs and cheered along accordingly).

Now I will trawl through the book again picking out some of the interesting sounding bands and see what spotify throws back.

With regards the mailing list, I was a bit annoyed that I never got on despite my best and repeated efforts spanning a decade. I thought it was either broken or a product of the slow and silent wheels of the Alphabet Business Concern. I might not have missed the garage concerts and more besides. Oh well, that's life I suppose.

People seem to be appearing on the List of late - give it another go (if you haven't already), although I fear it is too late for those Garage Concerts.

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 16:54

z0mb13e wrote:
Alternate BC wrote:
That's something i never understood either. I was on it, but i let my hotmail address expire at one point, and i never was able to get back.

Ah well.

I'm glad it wasn't just me then... I managed to get a subscribe message a couple of times but nothing after that...

And wouldn't you know - Irony of Ironies - I thought I would give it another try yesterday (now that I am running my own mail server) and hey presto, emails have started trickling through...

Ahh, ignore above!

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Mon Jul 18, 2011 18:24

Belch wrote:
z0mb13e wrote:
Alternate BC wrote:
That's something i never understood either. I was on it, but i let my hotmail address expire at one point, and i never was able to get back.

Ah well.

I'm glad it wasn't just me then... I managed to get a subscribe message a couple of times but nothing after that...

And wouldn't you know - Irony of Ironies - I thought I would give it another try yesterday (now that I am running my own mail server) and hey presto, emails have started trickling through...

Ahh, ignore above!

Although the past 3 days, i haven't received any new messages.

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Mon Jul 18, 2011 21:09

Belch wrote:There's also a very attractive Eastern European girl who works in there who I have of course told all about the book. Until I took in an unpackaged copy to show her I think she thought I was just posting off bricks in order to impress her...

have you seen the size of the new George RR Martin book....thats a beast!!

will order on wednesday thank god........just got to work out paypal :D

dedokras
Bronze Cardiac

Postby dedokras » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:04

The delivery to Bulgaria has been very quick and I am enjoying the book immensely, thank you Belch!

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Tue Jul 26, 2011 16:37

dedokras wrote:The delivery to Bulgaria has been very quick and I am enjoying the book immensely, thank you Belch!

Another triumph for the British postal system! Glad you are enjoying it, Kras.

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Tue Jul 26, 2011 17:29

And for anyone that hasn't bought it yet, I've relisted it on eBay, and it is now here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220819759971&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_2030wt_932

bighen
New fish

Postby bighen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 19:04

Hola Belch!

Firstly thanks for the book you sold me at High Voltage (I was quite pissed and musically high! Honest!) I read it the week I returned and found that I tapped into some amazing memories of the many cardiacs gigs I went to in the proper one and only true Marquee days of the consultants flower garden madness with the confetti and sweat (drip drip of the black walls I recall!)

I thought I was a true "gigger" at 30 plus gigs but alas I now know Im a Cardiacs "lightweight" compared to yourself and those amazing people you wrote about ( and at least you managed to get girlfriends to go with you!) I was married for 17 years and the best I ever did was one rush and 2 I.Q gigs"wiv the missus!"At least I managed to take both offspring to the final Astoria gig with me (kicking and screaming but nevertheless...) Now that was priceless!!

Thanks for the recollected memories in print ! A great reminisce of wonderful times past and although we can never relive them again (in the live sense) its great that people like you keep the legend of what is the greatest band that ever created music alive and never forgotten. Time for a Cardiacs session after a long working week and to piss the neighbours off! Yippee!

"WHO NEEDS PROZAC? JUST SING TO GOD!"

North Sea Radio SOS
Silver Cardiac

Postby North Sea Radio SOS » Fri Aug 05, 2011 23:34

I am reading your fine book Mr. Belch and am liking what is unfolding thusfar :mrgreen: My enviousness is unabounds, seeing as i spent most of my life until recently completely unaware and oblivious to the greatest, most beautiful music ever to flow thru my ears until the end of my time. I never saw 'em live, fo shame, so your book is giving me a little bit o' insight into what i could've experienced should i had been a little more savvy in my earlier musical years and tested murkier waters instead of playing it safe in the mainstream ( no pun intended ).

Thanks for the rather wonderful customer service via Ebay too by the way.

I take it that, this is actually the ONLY Cardiacs related book to be bought anywhere ?
Batman : "What's yellow...and Points !?...."
Robin : " Got it! A BALLPOINT BANANA! "
Batman : " YES!.. ExACTly that Robin ! "

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Sat Aug 13, 2011 16:47

Received yesterday!
I'm starting to read this triple book, I like it... loved the Big Ship Iron chapter, very well done... expecting from one moment or another some reference to italian football :)

Thanks, again, wonderful present for my birthday, tomorrow ! (32!)

ps,
So it seems like I got a VHS tape of Cardiacs live in Rome in 1990, and you was'nt there!
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

kabukiboy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby kabukiboy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:44

imagine my surprise when, as i'm reading thru these various adventures, there is mention of the Red Shoot Inn in Linwood! when i was about 11 years old my best friend's parents moved in there and took over the place. i soon got banned from visiting as my pre pubescent punk rock shenanigans didn't go down too well but there ya go.

i also tear up a little when reading the book, particularly when there's talk of concert ending Whole World Window confetti bombs and i'm sad that i'll never experience this spectacle again.

my last cardiacs live experience i think was in 1994 just before leaving england and i was very excited when they played Burn Your House Brown! very excited!

nice work belch - onya!

Bispy
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Bispy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 01:12

Re-posting my thanks for the book, Belch. Really excellent job.

Please write a history of the band next.
The more NOW you are, the more THEN you'll be.

Fugazi
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Fugazi » Sat Sep 08, 2012 23:47

Thanks Mr Belch, my copy arrived today, I'm looking forward to reading it although I suspect it might be a bitter-sweet experience to read about the highs, energy and atmosphere of a Cardiacs gig, something I arrived too late to savour and probably never will :(

<digress>
By the way, I cannot concur with your note concerning Bill Bruford! Clearly Gavin Harrison is the world's number one drummer. :razz: However, I am patently not even the world's 45,135th best. (that number means something else) ::arrow:

Bill is in my top ten of drummers though, particularly like his ability to be totally free-form and still keep the beat. And his anecdotes are hugely entertaining!
</digress>

cheers

Steve

p.s. Yes, I got the hidden reference in the title. Do I win £10? :D

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 14:14

bighen wrote:Hola Belch!

Firstly thanks for the book you sold me at High Voltage (I was quite pissed and musically high! Honest!) I read it the week I returned and found that I tapped into some amazing memories of the many cardiacs gigs I went to in the proper one and only true Marquee days of the consultants flower garden madness with the confetti and sweat (drip drip of the black walls I recall!)

I thought I was a true "gigger" at 30 plus gigs but alas I now know Im a Cardiacs "lightweight" compared to yourself and those amazing people you wrote about ( and at least you managed to get girlfriends to go with you!) I was married for 17 years and the best I ever did was one rush and 2 I.Q gigs"wiv the missus!"At least I managed to take both offspring to the final Astoria gig with me (kicking and screaming but nevertheless...) Now that was priceless!!

Thanks for the recollected memories in print ! A great reminisce of wonderful times past and although we can never relive them again (in the live sense) its great that people like you keep the legend of
what is the greatest band that ever created music alive and never forgotten. Time for a Cardiacs session after a long working week and to piss the neighbours off! Yippee!

"WHO NEEDS PROZAC? JUST SING TO GOD!"

Ooh, I have been slack in replying. Well, checking actually.

I reckon if they have a High Voltage next year, we'll get Knifeworld, as Kavus is currently The Darling of Prog.

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 14:16

North Sea Radio SOS wrote:I am reading your fine book Mr. Belch and am liking what is unfolding thusfar :mrgreen: My enviousness is unabounds, seeing as i spent most of my life until recently completely unaware and oblivious to the greatest, most beautiful music ever to flow thru my ears until the end of my time. I never saw 'em live, fo shame, so your book is giving me a little bit o' insight into what i could've experienced should i had been a little more savvy in my earlier musical years and tested murkier waters instead of playing it safe in the mainstream ( no pun intended ).

Thanks for the rather wonderful customer service via Ebay too by the way.

I take it that, this is actually the ONLY Cardiacs related book to be bought anywhere ?

Yes, it is the only one.

Good job my eBay customer service is a bit slicker than my service on here.