A Book For a Book

The latest Cardiacs news is posted here. This is also the place to discuss the news stories. Only Administrators may start new topics here, but all Members may reply to topics.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

z0mb13e
New fish

Re: A Book For a Book

Postby z0mb13e » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:19

Well in the cold light of day I should clarify that I wasn't blubbing all the way though the book, quite the opposite in fact. It brought many a smile to my face and reminded me of many happy memories - not least of which was the Feet First club nights being an indie/alt inde kid back then. So for the happy memories, and not for nearly making me cry (at the epilogue), thank you Belch.

Strange that our paths never crossed as I was at at least 20 or so of those gigs (I never kept a diary or journal unfortunately) from the Mares Nest filming that sunny summer day in 1990 (at the tender age of 16) to the Nov 2007 gig in Portsmouth (where I was suitably impressed that anyone had managed 100 gigs and cheered along accordingly).

Now I will trawl through the book again picking out some of the interesting sounding bands and see what spotify throws back.

With regards the mailing list, I was a bit annoyed that I never got on despite my best and repeated efforts spanning a decade. I thought it was either broken or a product of the slow and silent wheels of the Alphabet Business Concern. I might not have missed the garage concerts and more besides. Oh well, that's life I suppose.

kabukiboy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby kabukiboy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 15:03

ordered :-)

kabukiboy back after a few years absence....

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Mon Jul 11, 2011 20:39

With regards the mailing list, I was a bit annoyed that I never got on despite my best and repeated efforts spanning a decade. I thought it was either broken or a product of the slow and silent wheels of the Alphabet Business Concern. I might not have missed the garage concerts and more besides. Oh well, that's life I suppose.

That's something i never understood either. I was on it, but i let my hotmail address expire at one point, and i never was able to get back.

Ah well.

z0mb13e
New fish

Postby z0mb13e » Mon Jul 11, 2011 21:35

Alternate BC wrote:
That's something i never understood either. I was on it, but i let my hotmail address expire at one point, and i never was able to get back.

Ah well.

I'm glad it wasn't just me then... I managed to get a subscribe message a couple of times but nothing after that...

And wouldn't you know - Irony of Ironies - I thought I would give it another try yesterday (now that I am running my own mail server) and hey presto, emails have started trickling through...

Kettle
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Kettle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 00:10

kabukiboy wrote:kabukiboy back after a few years absence....

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time....

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Tue Jul 12, 2011 19:12

z0mb13e wrote:
Alternate BC wrote:

Ah well.

I'm glad it wasn't just me then... I managed to get a subscribe message a couple of times but nothing after that...

And wouldn't you know - Irony of Ironies - I thought I would give it another try yesterday (now that I am running my own mail server) and hey presto, emails have started trickling through...

Sounds promising. I'll try again.

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Tue Jul 12, 2011 19:43

Alternate BC wrote:
z0mb13e wrote:
Alternate BC wrote:

Ah well.

Sounds promising. I'll try again.

Well, waddayaknow, i received a confirmation mail. That's more than i got in the past.

kabukiboy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby kabukiboy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 13:33

Kettle wrote:
kabukiboy wrote:kabukiboy back after a few years absence....

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time....

been busy losing my money releasing and distributing great music from asia. have a listen at http://tenzenmen.bandcamp.com. zoo, mr sterile assembly and rainbow danger club should go down well here i reckon...

only just found the two rehearsal videos on youtube and found my way back here again....

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Fri Jul 15, 2011 22:27

Alternate BC wrote:
Well, waddayaknow, i received a confirmation mail. That's more than i got in the past.

I've just rejoined too! First time since...2006. Crikey. Now to wait for the messages to come flooding in...any moment now. Any moment...now.
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Sat Jul 16, 2011 17:14

Pheeel wrote:
Alternate BC wrote:

I've just rejoined too! First time since...2006. Crikey. Now to wait for the messages to come flooding in...any moment now. Any moment...now.

It works ! The messages are flooding in !
Oh, the joy.

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 16:35

Alternate BC wrote:A Bic edition ! :D

It raised £40 for Tim, which can't be bad.

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 16:38

andyb71 wrote:Have to say, I'm around 100 pages in and thoroughly enjoying this, a job well done.
Though it does make me realise quite what fun and frolics I missed by getting into Cardiacs a couple of years ago.... bugger

My mum and dad are Sheffield United season ticket holders so I'll be looking out the other book as well.

My sympathies to your mum & dad - we've all suffered a lot recently (like over the last 40 years).

Yep, Fever Hitch is still kicking around in the darkest recesses of Amazon - let me know how you get on.

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 16:41

nick23 wrote:Arrived today, just had a flick through, top stuff, signed as well, ' wallow in nostalgia' indeed- Stonehenge 84 ( i missed Cardiacs as well, walked past when they were playing), PEH at Cholderton 88, Inner City Unit, Ring etc... lots of memories, cheers Belch.

Yes, there's definitely two halves to my musical brain, the Prog side and the anarchist punky hippy side - no wonder Cardiacs found their way in (eventually, after that attempt at sleep when they were on at Stonehenge).

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 16:45

PollyMoller wrote:Mine arrived this week after a long journey to San Francisco! I am reading it proudly on the streetcar and the BART where everyone can see. :D

I think I can work out what the streetcar is (sounds like it might even be a charabanc which would please Mr Walmesley), but the BART has me stumped. I'd look it up on Google but I'm too busy replying to all these messages I forgot to check up on on Mares Nest...

Belch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Belch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 16:50

z0mb13e wrote:My copy appeared on my desk on Friday (you're very quick with shipping!), today (well, yesterday now) disappeared in a flash. I sat out in the morning with a cup of tea and your book and when I got round to looking at a clock it was 5 hours later, so I kept reading and have just finished it. (What can I say, I'm a slow reader, Mrs z0mb13e can read 3 books in the time it takes me to read one)

I'm somewhat at a loss for words right now, as I fight back the tears.

So I will just say thank you for now.

Thank you...

It was a pleasure. Well, a pleasure fraught with pain. And worry.

Did the tea go cold? As for the fast shipping, them's the joys of living across the road from the Post Office. There's also a very attractive Eastern European girl who works in there who I have of course told all about the book. Until I took in an unpackaged copy to show her I think she thought I was just posting off bricks in order to impress her...